Discuss Arrow Tapering Jig at the Arrow Making within Archery Interchange Forums; Having read and spoke to some of the top traditional archers about the benefit of ...
    Thanks

Arrow Tapering Jig

Having read and spoke to some of the top traditional archers about the benefit of rear tapering your wooden arrows I decided to look into ways of tapering your own arrows.
    There are some jigs around but they cost a fair bit

So this is my idea on a cheap but precise way of tapering arrows
    Using materials that I had around the only bits I had to buy where the bolts and washers I set to and made this jig
    First I used 18mm MDF gluing and screwing two thickness together
    The base is 500mm long by 200mm wide I marked out and set 4 bolts in the base

The I made two blocks 300mm long by 70mm wide and cut two slots in the to line up with the blots in the base note the rounded corner this helps to feed the arrow in

Then I glued some 120grit sand paper to the inside face this was cut from an old belt off my belt sander it is better to use a belt off a belt sander as this is a lot harder wearing than normal sandpaper as it is resin bonded at when it starts to clog you can us a wire brush to clean it

Then the blocks are place over the bolts and adjusted to the taper you require

That is a exaggerated taper to show you the idea I left the taper just a tiny bit on the large side then tighten the wing nuts I locked the blocks into place It pay to use some spring washers as this will stop the nuts slipping

Taking the shaft I cut the pile taper on one end and using a screw on pile that I had ground the point off screw this to the shaft then inserted it in to a drill the reason for using the pile is to stop the chuck damaging the shaft

Then feed the shaft into the jig use your spare hand to support the shaft just in front off the blocks it takes 30 second to taper the shaft then with the shaft still in the drill I use some fine sandpaper to put the finish back on to the shaft this is the reason for leaving the taper just on the large side

I have not had chance to shot the arrows I have made yet but the first benefit I have found is with tapering the rear of the shaft I reduces the weight of the shaft by 18 grains this let me use a 80grain pile instead of a 100 grain pile and still keep my point of balance at 58% so the overall saving of weight is 38 grains

Its takes a bit off time to set the tapper but when set and locked into place it is very simple to use you can taper a dozen shafts in around 15 minuets

Hope you fine the information useful
    Dusty

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.AIUK subscriber. darthTer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Looks a good idea - simple & effective.

May I make a suggestion though.....It might be worthwhile adding some sort of guide at the start of the blocks. By doing this, you are ensuring that all arrows are following the same path/angle into the jig, and therefore creating a nice equal taper.....

Leia: "Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper???"
    Luke: "Then stay here and rot ya stuck up b**ch!!!!"

Thanks
    You find with supporting the shaft with you hand and feeding it through it centers it self and when the shaft is feed all the way to the back the blocks hold it in place giving a even taper

I did thing of putting a guide on in the first place but found it was not needed
    after a few trial runs

SVL
    In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award. SVL's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for tip on using belt sander paper. I have similar set-up which I bolt on to my worktop, but had some problems with the sand paper wearing out very quickly. I also suggest using a hard wood for the taper blocks. But great simple and fast system for making tapered arrows. I used it for making fmy daughters flight arrows.
    If it does not feel right ..... don't shoot it, start again and do it right.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice one Dusty, thanks for the show and tell.
    It's on my list, along with spine tester and a load of decorating ... been painting the bedroom this weekend, it's been rough on my elbows.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

SVL
    In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award. SVL's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Del the Cat View Post
    Nice one Dusty, thanks for the show and tell.
    It's on my list, along with spine tester
    There is a good spine tester in the Fletchery book. A friend made me one iit works really well and very usefull.
    If it does not feel right ..... don't shoot it, start again and do it right.