Arrow Weights

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
When making a set of arrows I'm now getting into the habit of weighing them off against each other, getting them within so many grains etc, but a question keeps coming to my mind when I sart out to make a set.

How do you calculate the maximum/minimum/most efficient weight for your arrows. For example if you wanted to make some long distance arrows, you'd want them light enough to travel the distance, but not too light that:
a) It hurts the bow
b) It doesn't travel far enough because it doesn't have enough force.

So how do you know whether an arrow is too light for your bow?

Craftsman

Is it possible to get them too light?

I would have thought too much weight would have a greater affect, limiting distance.

As long as they were as well matched as possible, I wouldn't worry about too light.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Is it possible to get them too light?

I would have thought too much weight would have a greater affect, limiting distance.

As long as they were as well matched as possible, I wouldn't worry about too light.
If the arrow is to light, not enough energy could be transfered to the arrow and left over force go into the bow, making it akin to dry loosing.

duffy

When making a set of arrows I'm now getting into the habit of weighing them off against each other, getting them within so many grains etc, but a question keeps coming to my mind when I sart out to make a set.

How do you calculate the maximum/minimum/most efficient weight for your arrows. For example if you wanted to make some long distance arrows, you'd want them light enough to travel the distance, but not too light that:
a) It hurts the bow
b) It doesn't travel far enough because it doesn't have enough force.

So how do you know whether an arrow is too light for your bow?

you dont want the arrow too light for the bow, that could be dangerous and not good for the bow, whatever bow you have check with them about what minimum arrow weight you should have. if you look at no just arrow weight but point weight and size of feathers!!