Barring Fletchings

cccc

How are fletchings barred ? Is it a simple job to paint / dye / ink the barrings onto a feather ?

I have been thinking about making some arrows up and of course colour etc come into it and I quite fancy them all being the same colour, so wondered how hard it would be to simply bar one of them.

I guess I could add a nock with a little stub, but this isnt always easily visible.

I have also been thinking of adding a little glow in the dark pain to them, the stuff I have seen is pretty pale or white in daylight, but can glow for up to 10 hours in a variety of colours and intensitys which might help recovery.

philhoney

Hi,
Forget the glow in the dark paint. It only shows up in the dark. If there is enough light to shoot then you won't see any glow at all.
Phil

cccc

Hi,
Forget the glow in the dark paint. It only shows up in the dark. If there is enough light to shoot then you won't see any glow at all.
Phil
The idea was to be able to return at night to find arrows lost during the day. Worked well ( twice !! ) with my daughters i-phone that she lost in the snow with the ringer turned off. Waited until dark then phoned it, watching the snow in the field to see what glowed. Thought as a last resort it might be worth a go.

CraigMBeckett

How are fletchings barred ? Is it a simple job to paint / dye / ink the barrings onto a feather ?

I have been thinking about making some arrows up and of course colour etc come into it and I quite fancy them all being the same colour, so wondered how hard it would be to simply bar one of them.
Some are dyed others are natural.

If you just want to put barrs on try using permanent markers.

Craig.