Beiter nocks

pocruadhlaoich

I will be upgrading my arrows soon and am wondering what type of nock to put on them. I am intending to get Beiter nocks ( Werner Beiter | Dauchingen | Germany | Products | Nock ) and would be interested in hearing about whether to opt for a Pin nock, PinOut nock or an Out nock, given that I am a recurve archer and that the majority of my shooting is done indoors at a single Portsmouth target.
I have read elsewhere on this forum that there are benefits to using Out nocks when shooting outdoors but I wonder how well they hold up comparatively when shot at a shorter distance to the same target.
Thank you!

Tuck

I have been using Beiter nocks for many years, the in-out nocks offer good rear end protection, if there is one suited to your arrows. ACE's and X10's are covered , check the PDF download on their website.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

pocruadhlaoich

Hi Tuck,
thanks for replying. Sorry maybe I should have mentioned that I am getting Carbon Express Nano-Pro X-treme arrows so the InOut nock isn't applicable, they seem to be for aluminium / carbon shafts.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
My personal preference would be to avoid the out-nocks. You can't get them in the "heavy" material.
The heavy colours are better for protecting the rear of the shaft.

pocruadhlaoich

Hi Rik,
so are the non-transparent coloured nocks made of a more dense material, is that what you are saying? So if more dense, then better able to absorb impact? If so, then it sounds like I should buy opaque PinOut nocks.
I took a look through Beiter's website but didn't have any luck finding out what colours are available for which nocks. I will have to order them from a shop to find out the options.

pocruadhlaoich

I found on their website that "heavy" colours differ from other nocks because they are a little bit heavier and stiffer. PinOut nocks come in fluorescent red, fluorescent green, neon yellow, fluorescent orange, dark blue and white. I didn't see anything specifying which nocks it determines to be heavy but I think that's all I can find right now.

M

Moose

Dark blue and white are heavy colours the rest are the flo colours and the heavy is actually more like a less brittle material so when hit tends to look a bit chewed rather than splitting or breaking up completely

I always use the heavy colours on my ACE's and have Han no issues

Sent using a device equipped with a random word generator - apple auto-current

Tuck

The dark blue and white available on pin out nocks are not the heavy colours, they are a different composition. See the reference PDF download available on the Beiter website for a full list.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
That's discouraging. Maybe they thought a pin was enough rear end protection...
Only option might be out-nocks then, if they can be found in the heavy colours for the right shaft size (the range available isn't as good and supply might be difficult to find).

Tuck

If you can get hold of an in out x10 and ACE nock try it on the arrows shaft, the insert is standard UNI size, and as long as you have outer clearance then it could be used.

Tuck

The reference datasheet hasn't been updated since 2006/2008 so fitting for newer shafts is not clear.

pocruadhlaoich

The top article on Beiter news ( Werner Beiter | Dauchingen | Germany | News ) states:

/////

2014-01-16 | Beiter Out Nocks for new Carbon Express shafts
Carbon Express released two new arrow shafts, which can be used either with Beiter Pin-Out Nocks or with Beiter Out Nocks . To determine the correct Out Nock size we got directly from Carbon Express the outer diameters of the shafts:

Carbon Express Nano Pro EXTREME:
- Out-Nock 4,5, Pin-Out Nock 145 for Spine 650, 700, 750, 800, 900
- Out-Nock 4,7, Pin-Out Nock 149 for Spine 550, 600
- Out-Nock 4,92, Pin-Out Nock 149 for Spine 450, 500
- Out-Nock 5,0, Pin-Out Nock 154 for Spine 400

Carbon Express Nano SST:
- Out-Nock 1800, Pin-Out Nock 149 for Spine 1000
- Out-Nock 4,92, Pin-Out Nock 149 for Spine 800, 900
- Out-Nock 5,0, Pin-Out Nock 154 for Spine 700, 750
- Out-Nock 5,2, Pin-Out Nock 154 for Spine 600, 650
- Out-Nock 5,4, Pin-Out Nock 154 for Spine 500, 550
- Out-Nock 5,5 for Spine 450
- Out-Nock 5,7 for Spine 400

Our Nocksearch database is already updated!

/////

For a Nano Pro X-Treme the only Beiter options are Out-Nock and Pin-Out Nock. I checked out the Beiter datasheet and found that no Pin-Out Nock options are heavy. Also, for Out-Nock, 1/3 of these are specifically listed as heavy.
As I said at the beginning, the vast majority of my shooting is indoors at 18m. Would you recommend a heavy Out-Nock or a non-heavy Pin-Out Nock?

pocruadhlaoich

I have now also contacted Beiter customer support to ask them the question in post #12 as well. If they reply I will let you know what they say. In the meantime if anyone has any further opinions about a heavy Out-Nock versus a non-heavy Pin-Out Nock for mainly indoor shooting then I would be interested in hearing about it. Thanks!

RichParker

Personally if you are going to use carbon express I would go fo a normal pin nock (brand is up to you) with a carbon express bulldog collar and pin adapter.
I used that combo with my cxl pros and x-busters and they shrugged off rear impacts its pretty hard to damage the back of an arrow that has a metal pin and collar on it.

backinblack

I've already totalled one of my Nano PXs with an out nock on but they are (for me) slightly better as I've had clearance issues when using the pin nocks.

I don't think the lack of the "heavy" option is a problem if you're using pins and collars will help also.

Best,
Backinblack

Flyingwatchmaker

I use out nocks on my 680 nano xr's, and pins with beiter pins on my 600 NPX's both get decent clearance and I've killed a few nocks from both sets.. I only use transparent, just for visibility down range..

Tom

Simian

Supporter
Supporter
Whatever you end up getting, I would recommend steering well clear of the white & fluro Beiter pin nocks.

I've got through a pack of 25 in 2 months - that's 300-ish shots on average before they crack.

I'll be replacing mine right after this weekends tournament, and I'm only waiting that long so I don't get (even more) confused when scoring.

Simon.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Whatever you end up getting, I would recommend steering well clear of the white & fluro Beiter pin nocks.

I've got through a pack of 25 in 2 months - that's 300-ish shots on average before they crack.

I'll be replacing mine right after this weekends tournament, and I'm only waiting that long so I don't get (even more) confused when scoring.

Simon.
Yep... 300 shots sounds about right!