cutting arrows?

Zppty

Just looking for advice/opnions really, after 18 months of archery its time for me to move on from my starter gear. now im looking at going from 30lb limbs too 38lb limbs.

My arrows are currently 27" 1814 x7's although my draw length is ~25 after looking at the easton spline selector it says for a 38lb recurve @25" I need 1814!

So it seems a simple task of just lopping 2" off the end of my current arrows... it cant be that easy surely?

Also would a dremel be suitable to cut x7's not like I need anything too strong as im not going through carbons. can lock dremel in a vice and make some jig to just slide arrows into it for repetitive square cuts.

The alternative is just shooting them from a bow 8lb heavier than they are rated am I likly to damage anything and will they go off much over 20-100 yards?

Tropicalshot

you can make a jig but i would go to an archery shop, get them to measure and cut for a small fee,
if you cut your arrows to 25" will you have enough sticking out the front of the riser to safely draw the arrow back to full draw???
AMO draw std is normally draw length + 1.75" of arrow length,(nock groove to cut shaft)
look on the forum for AMO draw length
AMO Draw HERE

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Zppty,
I use a Dremel with a jig in a vice. There are pics on here somewhere. The thing I found when first using it, was that the thin cutting disc ran off line, so the end wasn't square.
My solution, which I discovered by accident, was to have the upper section of the disc just rubbing against part of the wooden support.

Zppty

going to give lopping 2" off the front of one of my spares a try, if it goes horribly wrong I will get a pro to do it :) thanks for the bit on AMO

how about just leaving them at 27" how likly am I to damage something?

Bald Eagle

Leaving them at 27" is fine but may be a bit weak. Treat yourself to some carbons for the outdoor season and have them made and cut down properly for you! Then use your alloys for indoors!

Zppty

Thanks everyone

The test arrow was far easier than I expected, now to get new limbs then do the rest :)