cutting bamboo shafts

gabry

hi everybody,i've recently boughy some tapered bamboo shafts and i'd like to ask if anybody has suggestions about how they can be cut to measure and what kind of points you use on tapered shafts:i shoot a longbow and have always used poc shafts not tapered,so i'm quite new to them...thanks

bobnewboy

hi everybody,i've recently boughy some tapered bamboo shafts and i'd like to ask if anybody has suggestions about how they can be cut to measure and what kind of points you use on tapered shafts:i shoot a longbow and have always used poc shafts not tapered,so i'm quite new to them...thanks
If you use parallel fit piles, then there is no problem. Sand the pile end (which should be the thicker end) of the shaft by spinning it in sandpaper until the shaft fits tightly into the pile, and use good glue, such as Araldite. If you shoot field like I do, arrange the shaft so that there is a bamboo node around an inch behind the end of the pile socket. In that way you get a very strong section of the shaft just behind the pile, and the arrow is less likely to break off at the pile in case you hit a stone or a tree jumps out on you.

//Bob

gabry

thanks Bob,though my reply comes quite late...I've made my bamboo arrows the way you wrote here and also with another set i've tried the traditional way,that is sharpening the point and nock ends.As a matter of fact,parallel points are much easier to fit and they go straight.Bamboo arrows are very good to shoot,they fly straight,though i have to choose them according to their diameter and not spine :i've tried the second but they come out too heavy for my bow,while i have seen that 7-7,5 mm diameter (maybe a 30-35 spine) fly very well with my 40 lbs flatbow and their total weight is the same as the poc arrows i used before.:fita2:

ChakaZulu

Can't find him but maybe he hasn't got any atm. Tempted by 100 shafts for ?80 delivered from China though...

Are they legal for NFAS flatbow? Technically they aren't wooden arrows...

gabry

I wrote to him last week to order more shafts and he replied that he was leaving for a few days ,could be back by the end of this month

^HUN^

Grow your own, it's what I did. Look around for Pseudosasa Japonica, it's a common bamboo.
Try to sort out shafts of equal diameter and inter nodal lengths and weight, bamboo arrows are traditionally matched by weight rather than spine. Preparation is a long process and not for the faint hearted ;)

Yew Selfbow

Bamboo .....dear oh dear... whatever next ....I hope they're not allowed in competition. It's bad enough grass being used as Long bow backing.

Fletchingjopi

Dear Bob, saw your message on bamboo shafts you ordered from Mark Hill. Maybe its just me but I just cannot find his contact details. Can you help me.
Thanks in advance,
Fletchingjopi

bobnewboy

Dear Bob, saw your message on bamboo shafts you ordered from Mark Hill. Maybe its just me but I just cannot find his contact details. Can you help me.
Thanks in advance,
Fletchingjopi
Hi, I havent been in touch with Mark for some time now. He used to sell exclusively on eBay under user 'mahill'. Alternatively you might try looking for Bridge Woods Field Archery club and see if they have any way of contacting him?

Cheers, Bob