Feather size for outdoor.

LongbowJake95

Hey everyone,
I've been wondering what peoples opinions are on fletchings for outdoor arrows. For indoor I've been using 5" shield fletchings and they've worked a treat, but I shot them outdoor right at the end of last season and they had far too much drag for the longer distances.

What is generally the best size fletch to use for outdoor target shooting and is there any advantage to using parabolic rather than shield?

Thanks in advance,
Jake :bowarrow:

BillM

Outdoors I use 3" feathers on my wooden arrows with the longbow. These can reach the target at 100yds/90m and I have shot them about 140m. I haven't yet tried a Clout with them but might do some time. They are 5/16" and shot from 48# with a draw of about 27". I shoot 11/32" shafts from my 52# 'horsebow' at the field course and they have 4" feathers, but then I only have to get them to 50m max. There is no real difference in flight between parabolic and shield but shield look better.

BillM

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I shoot 2.5" parabolic outdoors, though I might be limiting those to the longer distances and changing for the closer distances.

Parabolic do have less drag than shield, but the differences will be minor.

Phil Reay

Don't shoot longbow (at the moment) but 5" sounds a bit long. A lot of our longbow archers are using 3" feathers but have cut them down slightly and are getting the distances and the results. Hopefully, my longbow will be arriving shortly so I can give it a go

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Don't shoot longbow (at the moment) but 5" sounds a bit long. A lot of our longbow archers are using 3" feathers but have cut them down slightly and are getting the distances and the results. Hopefully, my longbow will be arriving shortly so I can give it a go
Generally 5" is a bit long for outside, but it does depend on the power/speed of the bow. My 65lb bow keeps throwing arrows over the top of the target at 60yds with 4" parabolic, so going to be trying 5" raven see if that makes a difference.

LongbowJake95

Thanks guys.
I only use 5" for indoor and short distance in the garden. I think I'm going to go with 3" parabolics but won't be making them for quite a while yet. Repairs on my indoor arrows are more of a priority at the minute as frequent use is starting to take it's toll and I still have quite a few competitions in the new year.