fletching options confusion

LongbowJake95

Pretty soon I'm going to be making some arrows for next indoor season soon. I've decided on all the components apart from the fletchings and was hoping for some advice on a few questions.
1: What is the best size fletch to use for a 30# bow at 18m?
2: Do offset straight fletchings or helical have better stability?
3: I've seen a lot of people on youtube etc raving sbout 4 fletch recently. Is it worth trying?
Any advice on these questions would be a massive help. I don't want to put time into making these for them to be no good because of a simple mistake!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Pretty soon I'm going to be making some arrows for next indoor season soon. I've decided on all the components apart from the fletchings and was hoping for some advice on a few questions.
1: What is the best size fletch to use for a 30# bow at 18m?
2: Do offset straight fletchings or helical have better stability?
3: I've seen a lot of people on youtube etc raving sbout 4 fletch recently. Is it worth trying?
Any advice on these questions would be a massive help. I don't want to put time into making these for them to be no good because of a simple mistake!
1. Best size. There's no real answer to that. If you're just talking about indoor shooting, then one answer is "as big as you can manage without getting clearance problems" on the grounds that a larger fletching will help stabilise the store flight quicker. But choosing the right arrow size kind of makes that irrelevant.
2. Most non-hunters don't use helical. Offset works fine for most purposes.
3. 4 fletch. I've seen it used but it doesn't make much difference. 3 fletch works as well for most purposes is less fiddly and cheaper.

All opinions, as you're talking more about fashion, than anything involving hard facts here...