Fletching width mismatch

Anglian Archer

Hi,

I recently bought some 2 1/4 inch shield fletches and found that, while they were all the right length, the width of the fletches (from the quill-line to the highest point of the fletch) could vary considerable, sometimes by as much as 5mm.

So, three questions:

1) Will variable fletching width make that much difference to an arrow's flight?

2) If it does, should I be trying to trim fletches to a consistent size?

3) If I can't be bothered to do 2 (highly likely), can anyone recommend a supplier with better quality control? (The fletches came from a reputable supplier but had no branding.)

Thanks

Steve

Anglian Archer

Hi DG,

I might end up doing that, but it seems a waste. Frankly, I'm surprised it happens in the first place. I don't know how fletches are made, but I'd always guessed they'd be cut to size on some template.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Steve

dgmultimedia

Supporter
Supporter
when I looked up Shield Fletches it came up with the Turkey Feather variety so I assumed you were fletching Wood arrows for a longbow....!
you could make a card ( or metal template) from the smaller ones ( if that is the majority ) and cut the big ones down with a pair of sharp scissors...!

I don't shot wooden arrows but I would not fletch anything with different sizes on the same arrow....:archer:

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Are you talking about feather fletches or plastic vanes?

If plastic, I don't know why but I've often known different colours be different sizes. I don't know why but it seems to be not uncommon.

If feathers I think that they are stamped out with a die cutter. I don't know for sure but I can easily imagine the springiness of the natural material causing a bit of variation.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I would drop the supplier a line first as they may not be aware of the problem.

Anglian Archer

when I looked up Shield Fletches it came up with the Turkey Feather variety so I assumed you were fletching Wood arrows for a longbow....!
you could make a card ( or metal template) from the smaller ones ( if that is the majority ) and cut the big ones down with a pair of sharp scissors...!

I don't shot wooden arrows but I would not fletch anything with different sizes on the same arrow....:archer:
Sorry. I keep forgetting that other people aside from longbow folk make their own. You're right, we're talking about feathers for a wooden arrow.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I make shield style fletchings from farmed turkey feathers. I made a brass template of the shape and size I use. I cut them with a very sharp pair of scissors. I can give you two tips. 1. Lay a piece of masking tape (not any other type) over the feather you intend to cut (this will prevent the fibres splaying while you cut them). You can also mark out the shape with a pen. 2. Cut from the end of the feather (against the fibre direction) this will prevent the fibres 'flattening' as you cut them.

Making arrows is great fun - cost is not everything.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
commercially they are die cut and I have found that as mentioned different colours arrive being slighly different sizes. I have nevr had a mixed batch of the same colour fletch though, I would mention this to the shop you bought them from, the least they can do is send out half a dozen matching ones, it will only cost them a few pence and a stamp.
You will find that the arrows wont fly true and the longer the range the worse it will be. Cutting them all down is an answer but for short distances you want them to have the drag to get the arrows to straighten up quickly.