Horn Nocks

D

Deleted member 7654

Not done that sort... I've done the parallel sliver of horn style (as shown to the right in your link)
I'd have thought do the wood by eye with a rasp/file and maybe rough cut the horn and then warm it or or soak it in boiling water so that it is pliable and will conform to the shape of the wood when bound on with rubber strapping as it glues and cools . Do the final shaping after it's glued.
Del

WillS

There are quite a few records of these types of reinforcements used in some of the Mary Rose books, Hugh Soar's especially. He even mentions the next level from this, which is a tapered wedge piece of horn. I know that Richard Head sells the horn cylinders for exactly this purpose as well, but as yet haven't tried using them. It seems a bit too much trouble for what it's worth, considering that the simple horn slice can withstand 150lb warbows. Aesthetically however, it's pretty ace looking!

Egstonvonbrick

>>It seems a bit too much trouble for what it's worth...

My thoughts exactly, i'd be tempted to make one so as to say i'd done it! :)

Although i do remember a chap on e-bay selling something like this... will try to track it down...

Cheers
Ev

WillS

Bear in mind that horn nocks were used purely to protect an arrow leaving a warbow, of around 100 - 150# draw weight. There was never any intention of accuracy or consistency, as the arrows were designed to be mass volleys, not accurate for scoring.

I'm of the opinion that hunting arrows wouldnt have horn inserts either.

You'll never get a horn nock to be as consistent as a machine made plastic one, but they sure look better!