Discuss How to make round arrows at the Arrow Making within Archery Interchange Forums; I have recently started to make my own shafts. I plane them from square and ...
    In the Black
    Thanks

How to make round arrows

I have recently started to make my own shafts. I plane them from square and use a hole in a piece of steel as a guage for the desired diameter. At this point I taper them with the plane and use glass paper to smooth and do final weight and spine matching. When cresting I have noticed that the shafts are not perfectly round but oval. I think the sanding removes summer growth faster than winter growth which makes the arrows oval. Does anyone have any cunning techniques for ensuring the cross section is round even for tapered or barrelled shafts?

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I use a taper jig, basically 2 length of angle iron with abrasive paper on one face. They are mounted on a wooden base so the angle between them can be adjusted. I use my lathe to rotate the shaft, but an electric drill would do the job.
    Bowyer's Diary: Reusing Stuff and Improvements
    Bowyer's Diary: Arrow Taper Jig
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

Thanks
    I make shafts round by whittling them down with a knife and then sand them with sandpaper. I use sapling shoots

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-C115 met Tapatalk

In the Blue

Thanks
    I make tapered shafts in a similar manner to Del the Cat but use wet and dry paper on the 2 opposite faces rather than just one. I also have a piece of wood tacked over the top so the arrows dont pop out of the jig. I use my electric drill to turn the shafts

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by little-else View Post
    I make tapered shafts in a similar manner to Del the Cat but use wet and dry paper on the 2 opposite faces rather than just one. I also have a piece of wood tacked over the top so the arrows dont pop out of the jig. I use my electric drill to turn the shafts
    I have the abrasive on both faces too... and I have clear polycarbonate over the top
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the Black
    Thanks
    Thanks for the sugestions, I'll try two blocks of wood with glass paper as you suggest and get back to you with my results.