Made my first dozen arrows

D

Deleted member 7654

Yup, looking good :)
I make up my own, I'm not a great fan of the task, but it's very satisfying to have a batch of nice fresh clean new arrows.
Dunno why it's always the new ones that get lost or broken tho' ! ;)
Del
PS. You did well to shoot 'em through the sewing machine hand wheel ;)

Black Sun

they look good, be proud of yourself! one of my friends has those same colours albeit with pink tracer fluffies. Have you varnished them or used danish oil on them? You might also want to consider putting some whipping on the front of the feathers (basically wind some cotton thread around the shaft so that it covers the first couple of mm of the quills, it'll help protect the feathers among other things.) There used to be a good youtube video on this... will see if I can find it for you

Corax67

They look great - I really find it satisfying making arrows and quite exciting the first time you shoot them to see just how good your handiwork is.

Karl

I quite like pink because it's easy to spot in the grass. Wasn't sure whether to go for white cock fletching and black nocks but think I made the right choice.

I oiled them with linseed oil. And about whipping I have heard that people drop a small amount of glue on the end of the fletching to protect them so I was going to do that.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I quite like pink because it's easy to spot in the grass. Wasn't sure whether to go for white cock fletching and black nocks but think I made the right choice.

I oiled them with linseed oil. And about whipping I have heard that people drop a small amount of glue on the end of the fletching to protect them so I was going to do that.
It's whatever you choose to do really, aside form y clout arrows which I put a bit of glue at the front of the fletch I whip all mine....but I whip mine all the way up as I like medieval look.

Well I haven't actually done either yet so I'll look into whipping.

Do you whip through the fletchings or are you supposed to do it before you glue them on?

Female

WillS

Those look nice and clean and tidy! Well done :)

Hope you used boiled linseed oil and not raw - you'll be waiting for about 3 weeks for it to dry otherwise ;)

Those look nice and clean and tidy! Well done :)

Hope you used boiled linseed oil and not raw - you'll be waiting for about 3 weeks for it to dry otherwise ;)
Thanks WillS. You know I have no idea what type of Linseed oil it was but after a few hours it seemed dry but I left it for 24 to be sure.

WillS

Definitely boiled then. Although, it's not really "boiled" it's just got loads of metal oxides in it to aid drying time!

I've been fiddling about trying to finish my 15th/16thC verdigris compound for waterproofing animal hide glued fletchings and I never, ever want to look at raw linseed oil again. Horrible stuff, especially when you cook it!

I did accidentally knock the bottle over and turn a good chunk of the worktop in my kitchen into a bit of an ice rink. The good part is you can slide drinks along it as if you were in a saloon.