Pin nocks

M

Mark R

I've aquired some navigators with pins already fitted but no nocks.
Obviously I'll have to buy some but how are they attatched to the pin?.
Do I glue them on?.

buzz lite beer

Be aware that some pins can take a bit of damage and get scored down their length, this will make refitting replacement nocks a trickier job and could lead to you splitting the new nock, any such damage can be fixed by either pin replacement or if the damage is only minor they (the pin) can be dressed with an emery board. On some occasions if nock fit is a little slack and it is very easy to rotate the nock on the pin the use of plumers tape or dental floss will resolve such issues. The idea behind push fit nocks such as the pin nock system is to allow rotation to be possible should fletching clearence be an issue, so do not use glue.

M

Mark R

Cheers guys, I'll pick some up and start using them.
Just out of curiousity how do I tell if my string needs a large or small size groove in the nock?.

buzz lite beer

how do I tell if my string needs a large or small size groove in the nock?.
That will depend on the poundage you intend to use over 36lb I'd advise you go for a larger groove, why? Thin digs in deep to your tab and as a consequence into your fingers, many opt for extra layers of tab facing to compensate, this is bad as you need to be able to "feel" the string but be comfortable at the same time.

M

Mark R

Cheers again for the help.
Simples! take the string with you and try before you buy, innit?
This is going to have to be an internet purchase as my nearest shop is about 100 miles away so not really worth showing up in person.
Buzz lite beer, I'm only at 32lbs at the moment and have no intention of going over 34 until next year so would I be safe to assume it's a small groove?.

Whitehart

Cheers guys, I'll pick some up and start using them.
Just out of curiousity how do I tell if my string needs a large or small size groove in the nock?.
What string do you have - material (i.e 8125, Fastflight, Dacron), number of strands and serving material.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
for the record...it may help selection...

i am using Goldtip pin nocks in my Carbon impact. These are equivalent to Easton Large groove pin nocks.

I also have some of the CI small groove pin nocks kicking about - they are just too small for my strings.

Currently shooting 452x 20 & 18 strand strings. Previously used 18 strand 8125....all with large groove pin nocks.

I have used the following pin nocks:
Carbon Impact small & Large
MAC Pin nocks
Goldtip pins (Large)

Hope that helps....

EVC

Complementing Darth's post, 16 strands FastFlight and 8125 with 0.021" central serving fit small groove nocks perfectly.

M

Mark R

Thanks for all the help so far, of course you'll need to know string info etc (don't know why I didn't think that before).
It's a fast flight with 20 strands, the string came with the bow kit I bought from Aardvark and the only blue serving they do is brownell no 4 so I guess that must be it.
Only now do I realise how much information I should've asked for at the time, but didn't.

Whitehart

Thanks for all the help so far, of course you'll need to know string info etc (don't know why I didn't think that before).
It's a fast flight with 20 strands, the string came with the bow kit I bought from Aardvark and the only blue serving they do is brownell no 4 so I guess that must be it.
Only now do I realise how much information I should've asked for at the time, but didn't.
That would be a large groove then, 20 strands thats quite thick what poundage bow?

Whitehart

Cheers Buzz- Nice, stable and slow :)

Perhaps 16str would be better and with No4 serving a small grove nock

M

Mark R

Cheers guys, my limbs are 32lb and I pull just over 28" so it's not very heavy.
I was goung to wind them up before the out door season next year but that'll still only be 34-35.
I was toying with the idea of using a different string for these arrows anyway so I wouldn't have to move the knocking point so this would make sense.
Is it comon to give a heavier string to novice shooters and will it make a noticable difference?.

buzz lite beer

I don't think it's common practice to give any particular string to a novice, shops making and selling 20st strings when they could sell 16st strings will be using more string in a year than they need to, I've always found a correlation between best groups and using lots of strands in a string (works best for me)

roytherecurve

the number of strands required in a string depends on material, the properties of that material and what you want in terms of performance. take fast flight for example. 20 or even 22 strands will give a string which will be slower but more stable and forgiving of a poor release which is also more kind to your equipment as it will absorb more of the initial shock of the shot;
These will require a larger size pin nock.
Whereas 18/16 strands will give a faster shot due to less mass in the string but will be less stable and not so forgiving on either your shot or your bow limbs as there is not as much shock absorbancy in the thinner string.
These will require a smaller size pin nock.
Dacron is the prefered choice for the wooden type trainer bows which most archers will learn to shoot with. With around only 12-14 strands. this rightly suggests that this is a much thicker and therefore heavier material than fast flight or any of the other materials mentioned here so does not require the same number of strands. This material does not lend itself to distance shooting as there is around 2-3% stretch on each shot which is like shooting with grannies knicker elastic! But is very forgiving on both shots and bows and is cheap!
If distance is your goal then thinner strings are the way to go or use a lighter material such as BCY's 8125, 452 (or 452+ for compound) or the new GIGA material(s) but be prepared for the less forgiving nature of faster strings especialy with GIGA as there is very little stretch. (I know, I use an 18 strand GIGA outdoors)
These strings will punish a poor release but give great arrow speed and distance.