salvaging points

DavidH

This is probably common knowledge, but even using araldite on wooden shafts, you can easily remove the point by heating it over a gas hob. I've made the mistake before of actually burning them off, but 15 seconds or so on the point will allow it to be easily removed with pliers. Whatever you do don't pull it off with your fingers, and make sure you leave it somewhere it cant burn the surface for a good long while before you pick it up;)

DavidH

not if you are careful, but its more about recovering points from damaged shafts. You could easily remove points to change them if you don't overheat

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
works with a lighter as well. the heat causes araldite to turn a bit brittle and the point will twist off.
Of course if the point breaks off and the wood is flush with the end of the point drilling the wood out or burning might be the only solution ... or you can buy another one.

DavidH

Lighters tend to get a little hot! Yes points do have a habit of breaking off flush and by the time you've dug it out it can look a little sad, but us longbow archers tend to be thrifty (or is that just tight) I made a string keep for nothing out of a bit of leatherette and string:) BTW just had 3 wonderful hours on the field with my new bow, third outing and I couldn't be more delighted.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
works with a lighter as well. the heat causes araldite to turn a bit brittle and the point will twist off.
Of course if the point breaks off and the wood is flush with the end of the point drilling the wood out or burning might be the only solution ... or you can buy another one.
If this occurs best i've found is to hammer a spare nail into the wood and hold with pliers, heat up the pile holding it point down, eventually the pile will just slide off the wood. Its best to make sure that whatever it falls on isn't flamable. When I did it I was outside and it landed on damp moss.......cooled it rather quickly.