Self nock - saw options....

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Folks,

I've got myself a wee jig for cutting self nocks on wooden arrows, which I used last night. However, I think I could do with something better to actually cut the nocks.

I tried a couple of saws that I have, but they were just too thin. Eventually I used the saw from a Swiss Army knife, which worked pretty well. Followed this with some sand paper to finish off the groove.

Can anyone recommend a saw with a thick blade which would work better???

dickyd

a few of the guys down in my archery club,use three hacksaw blades together to get desired thickness of knock

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Would it be possible to make a simple jig? Put the arrow and the saw into the jig and cut to the right depth. Then rotate the arrow 180deg and saw again. With the saw being off centre the first time, the double cut can be arranged to be any width you like( up to 2 saw cuts wide) and it will be central every time.

Mark in England

Three hacksaw blades taped together works well. It cuts better if the middle blade is reveresed in tooth direction to the other two. Finish off with needle files.
Alternatively a wood cutting disc on a dremel workd well if you have a steady hand, but still needs finishing off with files and sandpaper.

mezaman

I made a saw to do mine, a jigsaw blade fixed into a wooden handle, then I finish off with a rat tail file and sandpaper. It works well enough for me!