Self nocks on arras

jb.68

Just thought I would kick this section off by showing how I cut the slots for self nocks.

Hope it is of some use.

jb

D

Deleted member 7654

Nice...I didn't know photobucket supported vids.
I'll have to see what our new camera (Christmas pressie for me & Mrs Cat) will do in video mode.
Del

jb.68

Hi again, I was asked a couple of questions regarding the set up, so I thought I would post it here too.

I am a chippy by trade, and I had an old jiggy (jigsaw) sitting around. Not really any use for work any more, but OK for this kind of thing.

I cut a straight slot in a piece of 18mm mdf and then undermounted the jiggy to it. It does require drilling through the base plate which means you may not be able to use it again for anything else.

The silver guide is called a clamp guide, it is made by a firm called Trend, but you can buy a cheaper version from B&Q. Which to be honest will be just as good for this kind of thing.

Then you just have to work out your centres for the shafts and set the fence accordingly.

There is a health and safety side, but to be honest, it is not quite the same as pushing through a circular type saw.
Nice use of a jig saw just don't let health and safety see:rotfl:
;) :raspberry (a valid point all the same, care should be taken)

Hope that helps. I do have a couple of pics, but can take some more when I get time if you want them.

All the best
jb

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Fantastic idea, I already have a mount for a jiggy so wouldn't be too much of a faff and much easier than a hacksaw!

Kae.

Schoonertom

Nothing wrong with the table saw.set the blade to the depth of the nock, make a very simple jig, block of wood with a shaft-sized hole ,about 50mm square and 150 mm high. set the fence to cut through the centre of the shaft, the first pass will cut a slot. you then load a shaft and pass it through saw, no lost fingers, in fact it might be better to make the jig loner than 50 as then the jig will have longer and safer travel against the saw fence.

Paradox

Thanks for the video jb - it's a lot simpler than I was imagining it to be when the jigsaw method had been described (1 picture is much simpler than it's requisite thousand words).

I'm still faffing with this, and have a loaner of a bandsaw due on Wednesday as I'm struggling to get clean cuts with the table saw (blowing out splinters at the back).

If that fails I think that even I can sort out that kind of rig for one of the couple of jigsaws I seem to have lying around.

jb.68

Glad it is useful to you. The only tip with this is to keep the blades sharp, it does have a tendency to wander off if the blades are blunt, especially with a hard wood like ash or similar.

I would imagine that a bandsaw would work equally as well. The table saw could be a bit harsh, depending on how fine the blade is.

jb

jb.68

Btw, you will find crosscut blades give a much better cut than a rip blade i.e more TPI (teeth per inch).

jb