Using wraps with traditional arrows

maverick petey

Hi all,

Just ordered some MAC Traditional wraps as my previous attempt at cresting was a little bit hit and miss. This combined with the fact I'm making arrows for the other half and she is particularly picky about things being precise and so decided wraps wopuld be the way forward.

I'm curious as to how people that have used them have fitted them? Has anyone had any problems with using them on particular finishes?

The standard use of wraps is obviously to fletch directly onto the wrap and then peel the wrap off if the arrow needs refletching.

Has anyone used wraps and varnished over the top to make them permanant? If so what varnish or sealer did you use?

Any help would be gratefull appreciated, thanks all!

Davy Tee

Hi all,

Just ordered some MAC Traditional wraps as my previous attempt at cresting was a little bit hit and miss. This combined with the fact I'm making arrows for the other half and she is particularly picky about things being precise and so decided wraps wopuld be the way forward.

I'm curious as to how people that have used them have fitted them? Has anyone had any problems with using them on particular finishes?

The standard use of wraps is obviously to fletch directly onto the wrap and then peel the wrap off if the arrow needs refletching.

Has anyone used wraps and varnished over the top to make them permanant? If so what varnish or sealer did you use?

Any help would be gratefull appreciated, thanks all!
Hi mate,

I dont know why you would want to varnish over them. I have wraps on three wooden arrows and after a 30 round field archery day there wasnt a scratch on any of them.

I dont think varnish would go over the wrap to well as they are made out of some kind of plastic.

I stained my arrows then varnished them, put the wrap on and then the fletching.

Although, i must say that now i have built my Davy Tee cresting machine mk1 see (other thread) i wont be using wraps again as hand painted arrows look much better than wraps.

maverick petey

Thanks Davey, can i ask what varnish you used to finish the arrows? I have had various suggestions, but want to ensure that the wraps bond well and if yours were fine after a full field shoot then it seems to be the case for yours.

Jasepool, I know its almost longbow blasphemy, but I just don't have the time or pateince at the moment to hand crest them. I agree that painted arrows look far better than wrapped arrows, but its pure laziness unfortunately!!

Thanks.

Davy Tee

I had some yacht varnish International Goldspar left over from my sailing days. Mind you i did lightly sand down the area the wrap was going over.

I do everything on a budget and use what ever i have lying around.

Time wise i can crest an arrow in about 20 mins so it dont take up to much of your time.

Just take your time with the wraps as they can be tricky to get on the shaft without creasing, use a mouse mat to rest on.