What is Acetone ?

Davy Tee

Been told to wipe my vanes with Acetone before gluing, Wor lass says this is Nail Polish remover is she right ?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Nail varnish remover is mostly acetone I believe. Some brands apparently add lanolin etc to make it softer to the hands. That could leave a residue that will harm the effectiveness of the glue joint.

tel

Fonz Awardee
make sure to let them know you want the pure stuff though - they keep it out of the way usually. As geoff said the additives will do the exact opposite of what you want. The other point is that the reason for using acetone is often to remove the activator that some makers use to work with their own adhesives - if you are using the same make adhesive and fletchings you dont want to be wiping it off. :)

Davy Tee

Ok, Re any earlier thread i put up, i was sold some fast set glue to go with the vanes but couldnt get the stuff out of the tube so im using Bohning Fletch Tite but three vanes came off on Sundays shoot. So if i use Acetone that should do the trick i think. Thanks again for the advice.

Rip T

White spirit or Meths should do the same job - it removes the agent which lets the fletching manufacturers get them out of the moulds.

R.

BillM

I get my supply of acetone from yacht chandlers. It is used in fibreglassing so it should also be available where that is done or sold.

BillM

Darryl

By under no means use White Spirit or Turpentine. They will leave an oily residue as they're a solvent meant for oil based paints. Meths is fine though as a cleaning solution for arrow fletching prep. I tend to use acetone if I have stubborn glue and use meths for general cleaning. Be careful though as they will damage arrow wraps, as will the chemicals in fletchtite.

Yew Selfbow

There's a solvant made by F Ball and Co called KUMZOFF. It's used a lot in the boot and shoe repaire industry. Well worth trying

backinblack

If I haven't drunk it all, surgical spirit from the chemist works fine.

It also makes a cheeky cocktail when mixed with a double measure of Cif, a dash of Windolene and a sprinkle of Vim. My teeth have never been so white...

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Hi,

You could also use Nitro-cellulose thinners from Halfords etc or Methyl Ethyl Ketone (if the Health and Safety Miseries havn't banned it) I've used both and they work fine.

Dennis.

Darryl

Lol the Cellulose thinners that I have in the house feels oily on the hands when I've used it to thin paints. Wouldn't use it to be honest.

CraigMBeckett

Anything wrong with using Meths? its only alcohol with a bad taste added, it is also much safer to use as it does not readily dissolve many things, unlike acetone which will. I would try methylated spirits first before moving on to harsher (and more expensive) solvents. Or is it no longer sold in the UK?

Craig.

BillM

Meths is sold in outdoor shops for stoves and the like. I would always use acetone (carefully) when fletching. I also wipe the shaft with a clean damp cloth and make sure it is dry before fletching. I don't have a probem of fletches falling off and usually have to cut them off if someone has shot through one, or I've put an arrow through the number board.

BillM

Flying Whale

Careful of acetone. It can do a nasty job on the kidneys (or is it liver), and I don't mean if you drink it. It is absorbed through the skin I believe.

Best I have found is Isopropyl alcohol (or 2-propanol). This is a another of the alcohols (heavier molecule then methyl alcohol "meths", and much less toxic).

You should probably be able to get this from Boots if you ask and state why.

Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tel

Fonz Awardee
Careful of acetone. It can do a nasty job on the kidneys (or is it liver), and I don't mean if you drink it. It is absorbed through the skin I believe.

Best I have found is Isopropyl alcohol (or 2-propanol). This is a another of the alcohols (heavier molecule then methyl alcohol "meths", and much less toxic).

You should probably be able to get this from Boots if you ask and state why.

Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ooops! Just followed your link - seems it (IPA) is still quite toxic and is absorbed into the body where the liver oxidises it into acetone anyway... bit of a bugger that - I've never worn gloves or anything when using it, and have often used it as a hand cleanser!