Where to start?

Xlnt

Well I'll keep things short and sweet. I have recently returned to archery after nearly 20 years away. Shooting is going quite well and I would like to learn arrow making to give me something for when I'm not shooting. I was wondering where do I begin? I'm particularly interested in making traditional arrows. Hope the questions not too vague. Thanks for your help.

sam

I would buy a book on the subject or read soem online articles then decide ont he equipment you want/need

Also i would practice on some lower grade shafts :)

Regards, Sam.

Xlnt

Thank you. On your advice I have done a load of research and decided to take the plunge. Just made my first arrow (5/16 cedar shaft, weighted 30-35#,70gr brass pile, and 4" feather fletching). Turned out not too bad. I think it will fly at least lol.

Si2

Thank you. On your advice I have done a load of research and decided to take the plunge. Just made my first arrow (5/16 cedar shaft, weighted 30-35#,70gr brass pile, and 4" feather fletching). Turned out not too bad. I think it will fly at least lol.
Arrow building is a great hobby in itself, ideal for those days when you can't get out to shoot.

I started like you with 5/16th POC shafts.

For tools, you only need a taper tool and a fletching jig.

You can rig up a spine tester very cheaply.
I also made up a cresting jig using a plank, lego and an old scalextric car motor.

Once you get the hang of sticking the fletchings on accurately then move on to cresting.

I'm on my third set of arrows now and I am starting to decorate the arrow before fletching.

I'd advise making a set of at least six at a time.

Si

Si