wooden arrow points

Mrfixit

Can anyone tell me where to get hold of PDP steel field points? 5/16 " 100 grain to be specific

I have bought about 3 lots of arrow points recently and they all seem to be long nosed with 2 rings around them- if you've bought some you'll now the ones.
The problem I have is that there just isn't enough depth to the internal taper so the points come off ....regularly!! even when I've hit the grass!
I don't use 2 pack glue -only hotmelt - but the pdp points never came off at all! so I see no reason to change glues.
I've now swapped to brass points for time being but doo like steel for 3d shoots.

Thanks
Graham

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I would recommend TopHat points!!!

Been using them without issue for a good while now. No glue required - just screw on.....and they stay on!!!
There are a wee bit more expensive, but worth it IMHO.

Riceburner

I would recommend TopHat points!!!

Been using them without issue for a good while now. No glue required - just screw on.....and they stay on!!!
There are a wee bit more expensive, but worth it IMHO.
Seconded. I love em.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Mrfixit

Apart from being twice the price of brass piles and even more than standard field piles ,as they are screw on - it would suggest that the pile is wider than the shaft as no parallel reducing tool is used? if that makes sense, only to quote from GNAS rules
-The pile shall not exceed the diameter of the shaft at the point of fitment. Shouldered piles, whilst not disallowed, should be avoided because of excess damage to targets.
or is it just accepted that tophat points are ok?

Simon Banks

I've seen but not tried the tophat piles.. They are three times the cost of regular taper/glue on ones.. of course in field archery the most common arrow repair is snapping the pile off. If your worried about quick repairs there us always ferr-l-tite which allows you to fix arrows in seconds..

Riceburner

I've seen but not tried the tophat piles.. They are three times the cost of regular taper/glue on ones.. of course in field archery the most common arrow repair is snapping the pile off. If your worried about quick repairs there us always ferr-l-tite which allows you to fix arrows in seconds..

3X??

0.80 Euros ( 65pence today ) for a steel field point : TopHat?Arrowheads | TopHat? Field blued

50 pence for similar taper fit : BP32 Steel 3D Point Taper Fit 11/32 100grains (each) - Quicks Archery (ok - this is Quicks).

hardly 3x the cost....

As you say - the most common break is at the point - if you can screw on another pile, (or the same one), to the arrow right there in the field you can carry on with that arrow (albeit an inch shorter) until the next time. Most of us cut the arrows an inch or so long precisely for this reason. :)

Simon Banks

You do like expensive piles.. ;-)..

Steel pile 'taper fit' 24p each at Merlin archery,,,

My last batch of feathers were 11p each and I bought my shafts for 1.15p which means they cost me less than ?2 per arrow... ;-)