X7 Eclipse

Darryl

While I'm not making arrows I thought this the most appropriate place to post this question.

I shoot target recurve and have a set of 2212 X7 Eclipse arrows that I'm about to fletch with white 4" shield feathers. How far back should one glue them? Is there a hard and fast rule of where vanes should be placed or is it a matter of personal preference. I'm sure there is some formula or calculation to work out how to balance the arrow.

not dead yet

Ironman
about an inch from nock groove its to give you clearance on release.

you dont need the clearance with a release aid so you can fletch them nearer the nock for a compound

pete

Darryl

Hi mate, is that the same for ACCs with 1.75" vanetecs? Never really asked the question to be honest before and just put them on where I thought best.

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Hi mate, is that the same for ACCs with 1.75" vanetecs? Never really asked the question to be honest before and just put them on where I thought best.
I think the idea is to have them as far back as possible without touching your face. If you draw the bow up and anchor and feel the fletch touching your face then it's a bit too close to the nock groove...

buzz lite beer

I usually measure the distance of the hook my fingers make on the string (finger tip to behind 1st joint) and transfer it from groove of the nock to start of fletching, so with my deep hook the distance is an inch and one eighth. I know my fingers will clear the fletchings when they straighten during the loose with much less distance, but it's something I adopted early on in my arrow building and it has stuck.

The best advice is given by Easton. Bearing in mind that they have probably spent many thousands of Dollars on proper/scientific research, I would tend to go with their recommendation.

This is not info designed to persuade you to buy their product, as you've already done that, it is info to enable you to get the best use from that product.

Below, is information from Easton, taken from their websites FAQ section:

"While there is some personal preference involved, Easton has found optimal performance by placing all factory-fletched arrows 1" from the nock-end of the shaft to the start of the vane".

Darryl

The best advice is given by Easton. Bearing in mind that they have probably spent many thousands of Dollars on proper/scientific research, I would tend to go with their recommendation.

This is not info designed to persuade you to buy their product, as you've already done that, it is info to enable you to get the best use from that product.

Below, is information from Easton, taken from their websites FAQ section:

"While there is some personal preference involved, Easton has found optimal performance by placing all factory-fletched arrows 1" from the nock-end of the shaft to the start of the vane".
The easton guide says 1" from the nock end of the shaft. Is that 1" inclusive of the nock or nock groove or purely just shaft?

Think all of my arrows I've done it 1" from the nock groove.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
My copy of the Easton guide says:
Set the rear of the vane 1-1.25" from the bottom of the nock groove. To accommodate the reduced section on Super Swagged shafts, set the rear of the vane 1.5" from the nock groove.
(Super Swagged is their typo, not mine!)

So it's inclusive of the nock as far as the bottom of the groove.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
about an inch from nock groove its to give you clearance on release.

you dont need the clearance with a release aid so you can fletch them nearer the nock for a compound

pete

That would depend on your anchor point & shape of face etc as I cant have mine as far back as I'd like! :beer: