End serving repairs?

Hawkmoon

A very quick question that I think I know the awnser to. I know how to and can repaire the centre serving on my strings but can you repaire the end servings?

Mikey B

Yes, but it can be quite difficult. How difficult depends entirely on how the string was made originally......

Edit: If you explain how it's failed someone might be able to provide more a more in depth description of if and how it can be repaired

Martin Heelis

Ironman
1t is the serving on the actual loops that is damaged.
If the string is in good condition you have a 50/50 chance of repairing it. It's all down to which loop contains the ends of the string. Search youtube for string making videos.

Personally though I would just make a new string from scratch as it will only be marginally more effort.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When the loops are damaged, it is worth looking into the reason. It could be there is some roughness on the nocks of the limb tips.If there is, it could damage the repaired loops or a new string.When I had that problem I used a shoe lace and rubbed some polishing compound into it. Then rub the limb nocks with the lace, in the same sort of action you use to clean spokes on a bike.( the sawing sort of action; not rubbing up and down the spoke)
If the bowstring under the serving isn't damaged, I would just serve over the old stuff, by hand as there is no room for a jig.You will have two ends to tie off. I would arrange the ends so they are where the loop enters the end serving.Cross the ends over each other a couple of times, going round the bow string, and tie a neat knot.Make sure the knot stays facing you when the string is on the bow, so it doesn't press into the limb.This may be a temporary repair or longer lasting. However, if you keep an eye on it you will find out if the limb tips are still causing damage to the loops; and you won't have used another new string to find out.

caspian

#### it and make a new one. $5 of materials at most and 20 minutes of time. by all means check fur burrs and sharp edges, but remediating strings is not worth it.

philhoney

Hi,
IF you've got the use of a string jig it would probably be better to make a new string. BUT, how many archers own such a device. I don't and neither does anyone in our club.
I have reserved a couple of end loops on our beginners bows without a jig.
Firstly tease the serving on the loop apart and mark the top centre of the loop and then measure the length of the loop with the sides squeezed together. Remove all the serving from that end of the string. Place the large loop you now have over your knees making sure you pull it tight. Find your centre mark and mark the length of the loop either side. Start serving on one of these marks towards the centre and continue until you reach the mark on the other side. Remove the string from your knees and fold it in half in the centre of the serving you have just done. Continue serving over the doubled string until it matches the other end of the string. Finish off with your usual method. Job done.
Phil

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think re serving depends on how many arrows the string has shot. Some end servings give up after a week or so as they were not made securely enough; I would certainly mend one like that. However, an old string isn't worth the effort as it is going to be replaced soon.