is this order correct?

Kenjichan

Hello again all. Just a quick question about my order of making a string, wondering if I'm doing it right...

1) lay out the strands
2) make the loops
3) stretch for about 20 minutes at 300lbs
4) make end servings
5) string bow, and bring to bottom brace height
6) stretch at 300lbs for about an hour
7) string bow and add centre serving.
8) go to range and hope for the best...

I don't have the option to twist while strung under high load, so I have to take it off the jig to put it on a stretcher between steps.

Does this look about right? I've been making two colour strings using 8125g and 8190.

Thanks for any input!

ThomVis

Looks okay.
My take: 2) Make the loops and 4) Make end servings is 1 step with me. I apply centre serving on the bow I'm going to shoot with, at the right BH, and then put the string on a 40# spare bow (which gives around 70# on the string) and leave it on for a couple of days. And I'm not too exited about making a string from two different base materials (8125g and 8190).

Kenjichan

Oh I don't mean I mix the material. I mean I make 8125g strings and 8190 strings. I use 2 colours of the same material.

I have a spare bow but no spare limbs so I just throw it on a stretcher. I've heard that does the job just as well?

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Another point I would add is this. Make sure you serve in the correct direction (in the same direction as you twist the string). That is when you grip the string to draw, it will twist. So make sure your servings will 'tighten' when you draw. Otherwise your centre serving may become slack after a while.

Dennis

buzz lite beer

If you make your stings with even tension on each strand there is little need for stretching strings with 300lb weights

Kenjichan

The only reason I pop them on a stretcher is to get any play taken out of them. I hate changing my brace height and nocking point because it decided to lengthen. It seems to help quite a bit. I know if I just shoot it, it'll work itself out, but I'm impatient:poulies: