Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Discuss tips for a new string at the String Making within Archery Interchange Forums; it's time to make my own string, i found the ideal brace and the actual ...
    In the Black AIUK subscriber.
    Thanks

tips for a new string

it's time to make my own string, i found the ideal brace and the actual string, on a 72" have like 50+ twist, too much. as i read need like 20/30 twist

some small details:
    - which rotation i have to keep when twisting the string? looking from upside, clockwise or counterclockwise?
    - also on the serving, as above, which rotation?

how you make pretension on it? to avoid an extension during shooting? where i bought the last string, they a machine that can draw over 400# on it and i can see it, after 2 hours shooting it move just 1/8 - 1/16.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    When I make my strings, I twist them before I serve them. That way, the twists get settled under the servings, I also find it easier to serve a round, twisted string than a flat straight bundle of strands that twist as I serve; and unwind if I relax. I serve the same way as the twists as that seems to keep things in place easier. Going the other way tends to untwist the strands as I work. Being right handed I work from the left along to the right. The serving tool is going away from me as it rolls over the top of the string.
    It confuses me when I think clockwise or anticlockwise, I tend to fix the left hand end of the string and twist the right hand end. I twist so the top edge of the string is moving away from me, just like the serving tool does when I use it.
    It looks the opposite way to a screw thread.
    20 to 30 twists seems about right. It produces a string that stays "round" and smooth. Too many twists can start to look lumpy and too few seems to look flat in places.
    Stretching with 400# is something I never bothered about. What I found more important was keeping the tensions equal in the windings as I made the string.It is so easy to pull a bit too much near the end, and produce a slack strand from one of the earlier ones.
    My string jig has rollers on the tops of the posts. Once the string is wound on, I roll the string so it moves like a chain on a bike, and that allows any slack strands a chance to even out with tighter ones.
    Recently, I made a stretcher, to see what it was all about. I liked doing the twisting under some tension as that bedded in each strand nicely against the rest producing a round string with almost invisible twists as it was so smooth on the outside. It is easier to serve the string on a stretcher, too.
    One thing I find with serving is, the tension needs to be set well, so the serving is tight round the bow string. BUT also each winding needs to be kept tightly up against the previous windings. If each winding is just in contact with the one before, they will separate very soon when in use. I tend to raise the right hand end of the jig so I am serving uphill and the weight of the serving tool is pulling downhill towards the previous windings.

It's an X, it is no more. AIUK subscriber. Rik's Avatar
    Thanks
    Regarding "pre-tension" : just leave your bow strung to stretch it in. It should stop creeping after a day or so.
    There will always be some amount of normal stretch while shooting, but the string recovers from that when you take it off. To avoid that at a start of a shoot, you could string the bow before travelling. If that's not possible, then string it as soon as you arrive, and the hour or so before you shoot and the practice time, should take care of it.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

EVC
    Thanks
    Rik, in my experience, after stringing it takes around a dozen shots for it to settle (of course, after it has fully creeped).

In the Black AIUK subscriber.
    Thanks
    Thanks guy, lot of nice info!

It's an X, it is no more. AIUK subscriber. Rik's Avatar
    Thanks

Please visit our sponsors and help keep AIUK online!

Quote Originally Posted by EVC View Post
    Rik, in my experience, after stringing it takes around a dozen shots for it to settle (of course, after it has fully creeped).
    yes, so it depends on what kind of shoot it is... with a WA round you're fine with practice. With a shoot with more limited practice, it may be worth setting up early to give it time.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast