Thread: Fiber???

In the Blue
    Thanks

Fiber???

Hi,

Having made some longbows fairly successfully i now fancy having a go at a flatbow.

Whilst researching woods, dimensions, drawings etc I came across an article in "The Archery Library" (US site) on the flat bow and how to make it - great. In the article it explains most of what I need to know but then goes on to give info on making a backed bow and then mentions using "fiber" as a backing. I realise this means fibre in uk English, but what on earth does the article mean? It says that "fiber" can be bought from Electrical supply houses and that in some cities there are dealers who sell fiber only and that it usually comes in 3ft sheets. Does this mean fibre glass sheet? or maybe Carbon fibre? Can anyone help?

By the way - if anyone says "forget about "fibre" use (whatever)" instead I'll still be grateful for the advice.

Dennis

Thanks
    They probably mean Tuffnel, used a lot in electrical installations.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I have no idea if Bald Eagle is correct and the net is no help as all I get is info on Phil Tuffnel. The Fiber the older American publications refer to is a resin impregnated fibre board use in electrical installations, it is usually coloured redish brown but I have also seen it in black. It was a popular choice for making bits and pieces of archery equipment. In addition to its use as a backing, fibre was used a knock inserts, similar to the horn inserts used in the Mary Rose arrows, I seems it was also available in tubular for which was used entirely for nocks.

Craig.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Linnen thread makes a good backing and it can add some power. Rawhide will add protection but not power, you can get it by soaking a big dogchew from a petfood shop, it's a pretty slippy slimy job, I backed a Hazel bow with rawhide using traditional hide glue.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thank you all for your answers. Now I know where to go to get the stuff. Its actually called TUFNOL, which is why you cant find it on the web under Tufnell, CraigMBeckett. Thanks Bald Eagle - you pointed me in the right direction even if it was via Phil the cricketer! The stuff is also known as Paxolin - have actually used it often - had to file, drill and tap the stuff often enough in my career as an RAF Technician. The support blocks either side of my bandsaw blade are made of the stuff!

Thanks once again,

Dennis.