Thread: Hardwoods at Hardware stores?

In the White
    Thanks

Hardwoods at Hardware stores?

Hey all just a quick question. Is there any hardware store which sells planed, or sawn hardwood planks sutable for a cheap and easy bow ? Im thinking of places such as Wicks, BnQ, and Homebase. I assume its all going to be soft pine woods tho. Any ideas ? thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't think you'll find anything suitable at those places. Look for a good timber merchant, but even then you'll need to search for decent timber correctly sawn with decent grain.
    I'm sure there have been thread on this before on this forum, maybe in the Archery DIY bow building section. I recal a couple of timber merchants being recomended.
    Personally I find timber in the woods, there's plenty there if you get your eye in, Ash & Hazel are pretty plentiful. A local tree surgeon is sure to have tons of Ash and may well even have Yew.
    Google my 'Bowyers Diary' to see what I get my hands on.
    Del
    (where abouts are you?)
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the White
    Thanks
    Thanks for infomation again. Il be felling a tree for staves as soon as the snow clears enough for me to do it safely. Il be asking at my local saw mills aswell, there only a five miniute walk up the road from me. I live near Grimsby in a little town called Brigg. Theres woodland all over the place and alot of Birch so il go on a stave scouting mission as soon as the weather clears alittle thanks again.