Thread: What tools do you use?

Thanks

What tools do you use?

In TBB a bunch of guys made bows using just flint tools they made themselves. I know of a contest to make a bow using just an axe. What tools do you guys use?

Personally I use a farriers' rasp or a small drawknife for removing lots of wood (occasionally an electric jigsaw for roughing out) and a scraper or fine rasp/file for fine work. For rounding I use a belt from a belt sander held in the hands. Then sandpaper for smoothing off.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I like to use a variety of tools when making bows, at present I use a draw-knife, variety of rasps & files, jack plane, block plane, spokeshave and cabinet scrapers. Of course I also use sandpaper for smoothing before finishing. I find each tool is suited to a different job well, so when making a bow I'll use all of these tools.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I do as much as I can with an axe, very sharp and with a 'hand and half' handle fitted to it. I was toying with getting a draw knife but I found I could use the axe in the same way as a draw knife by holding onto either side of the head, (a bit akward to grip, but fine for debarking).
    I did use a disc sander on a bow over the Christmas hol, but over did it due to cabin fever (not another 25lb bow ).
    I got a really nice wood rasp from screwfix, flat, medium rasp one side, file t'other, takes it off quick and then smooths it off with the one tool.
    I find cheapo pound shop files are handy on wood. Other niceone is a small diameter chainsaw file (for sharpening chainsaws), they are round and parallell with V hard teeth, great for nocks.
    Del

Thanks
    I have found a bench sander comes in very handy for laminated longbows.A good set of files But he most Important tools to me are my set of scrapers
    I have also used a disk sander for roughing out on self bows but found I did not like it so have gone back to draw knife and spoke shave
    The one thing that I find comes in handy is the chalk line I use to use at work (before I bought a laser level) For marking out the center line of the bow

In the White
    Thanks
    For the bow stave...

hand axe (for splitting logs and shaping the stave)
    hammer (used with axe for splitting logs)
    forsts mora knife (for shaping and fine shaping)
    coarse sandpaper
    fine sandpaper
    bench grinder (for grinding and shaping the horn knocks)
    fine file (for cutting in the knocks)

Never felt any need for rasps, cabinet scrapers, draw knives ect.

Most crucial thing is to learn how to sharpen the axe and knife. If you use these two tools blunt you will do more damage than anything.

In the White
    Thanks
    haha Del the Cat reccomended the Bahco homeowners 8 inch wood file in another thread, so I immediately bought one. It arrived today and after using it for a few minutes I now can't imagine building a bow without one!
    Bahco 4-152-08-2-2 Homeowners Wood File 8in: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools