Black Tassel

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
After trying a clout last year and failing to reach the scoring zone, I came back this year with a heavier bow and some rear tapered arrows (home made). Not only did I reach the scoring rings and beyond I managed enough points to apply for a black tassel award, and only 11 points off blue.

Think I might to a few more clouts this year.

D

Deleted member 7654

Well done that man :)
Out of interest can we have some spec's
Bow materials,weight, draw.
Arrow dia, point weight ,fletching size.
Tassel dimensions ;)
Del

Corax67

I am intrigued by clout - our club is talking of holding one in the summer holidays and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Congratulations on your achievement !

Karl

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Well done that man :)
Out of interest can we have some spec's
Bow materials,weight, draw.
Arrow dia, point weight ,fletching size.
Tassel dimensions ;)
Del
Bow:
Adrian Hayes Bow, 60-65lbs @ 24" (can't remember exactly). Bamboo backed, Ipe core and Ipe belly. Approximately 70 inches length.

Arrows:
Pine shafts, 11/32 rear tapered to 5/16. 100gr bearpaw modkin tips. 2" low profile parabolic fletchings.

I tried them out at a flight shoot not long ago just really to see how far they'd go. In a strong side with they got me 2nd place with 221yds, so clout range wasn't a problem and was rather short of 45deg elevation.

- - - Updated - - -

I am intrigued by clout - our club is talking of holding one in the summer holidays and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Congratulations on your achievement !

Karl
Go for it, there is less pressure than target (might be because it was my 1st time I could make the distance) and nice ot see arrows vanish down the range.

D

Deleted member 7654

Cheers :)
I like those modkin points, I have some of the 11/32" ones mounted onto 3/8" Poplar shafts for light Warbow use, a nice medievalish look when fletched with 4" shield feathers.
I'd be interested to know how they compare aerodynamically to field points, bullet points etc.
Maybe I'll have to build a wind tunnel some time...
Del

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Just a bit of an update on the clouting front. Went to the Stalybridge clout practice day where they did a metric clout (3rd clout ever, 1st metric clout). total score for the double clout 222, which would equal a red tassel and 3 points off getting a gold. In the second half of the shoot I only had 2 arrows land outside of the clout ring.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
To be honest I think the flight shoot helped technique and getting advice from experienced long range shooting archers, and able to read and compensate the weather. When I was clouting I tried to follow the arrow flying and see how the wind effected it and adjust accordingly.