Clouting at Ebor

Furface

Supporter
Yesterday I feel I truly was ****. Started at least getting the length, then, after three ends, started falling ten yards short of the zone.Tried everything: aim higher; aim lower; raise bracing height; lower bracing height. Eight ends of complete misses, all ten-fifteen yards short. Then "adviser" suggests aiming ridiculously high and "really whang it". Sure enough, arrows all land ten yards...too long. 18 scored, definitely a PW.
Still, I know what to do at Panda next week.

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
Furface said:
Yesterday I feel I truly was ****. Started at least getting the length, then, after three ends, started falling ten yards short of the zone.Tried everything: aim higher; aim lower; raise bracing height; lower bracing height. Eight ends of complete misses, all ten-fifteen yards short. Then "adviser" suggests aiming ridiculously high and "really whang it". Sure enough, arrows all land ten yards...too long. 18 scored, definitely a PW.
Still, I know what to do at Panda next week.
Make the sandwiches?

Furface

Supporter
Ha to the cynical Cakemeister! I more than doubled my score at Panda - to 39, of which over 30 came in the second half. Very challenging wind, but excellent fun and company.
If I can double again at the Yorkshires next week, I shall demand that Cakemeister himself makes the sandwiches.
Seriously, if you haven't ever tried Clout you are really missing what makes ours a great sport.

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
Furface said:
Ha to the cynical Cakemeister! I more than doubled my score at Panda - to 39, of which over 30 came in the second half. Very challenging wind, but excellent fun and company.
If I can double again at the Yorkshires next week, I shall demand that Cakemeister himself makes the sandwiches.
Seriously, if you haven't ever tried Clout you are really missing what makes ours a great sport.
Well done Furface! Glad you had a good time :) I have my loaf & lettuce at the ready...

Pete

Furface

Supporter
The target in Clout archery is a foot-high post with a flag on it, stuck in the ground 180 yards (Gents) / 140 yards (Ladies)/ 120 /100/80 yards (Juniors) away (GNAS Clout - FITA Clout has metric distances. I have never sampled a FITA, and everything here relates to GNAS). The scoring zone is a circle centred on the flag, divided into 5 concentric zones, which score 5 - 1 going outwards. Most clout tournaments consist of a Double Clout, two rounds of three-dozen each. A vast variety of techniques and success levels, all down to the difficulty of actually sighting on the flag! Wind is much more critical as well, as even compound archers' arrows are in the air for a long time. Clout is taken very seriously, but is much more relaxed than Target, perhaps because of the variables affecting success. There has never been a "Six Clout" badge awarded to adults at a tournament (to my knowledge). There is an award scheme - Tassels - similar to Roses.
If you have never sampled Clout, do so - it is great fun. Most clubs don't have big enough fields to practice, because you need a massive overshoot, but, if you can, it is best to practice before you enter a tournament. In fact, a requirement for entering is that you have "received tuition" beforehand.

Marli

so anyone did the yorkshires yesterday apart from furface and the crazy littlest I did it was brilliant!!!

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
I was there as a last minute entrant. Great fun - I scored the same as Furface did a couple of weeks ago - 18. But mine is a PB as it was my first clout. Hopefully not the last as it was a great afternoon.