Finally shooting recurve again

Corax67

Following 6 months of slow recovery following hospitalisation I shot recurve yesterday for the second time.

Last week I managed a dozen arrows from my competition recurve - 40# OTF - before I felt completely broken, yesterday with a 40 year old 27# club bow and 15 year old arrows I not only managed a Frostbite (3 dozen round) without collapsing and scoring a semi-decent total I even managed a 3 gold end :)

Hoping for steady improvement as my stamina gradually returns to previous levels.

Karl

Attachments

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Following 6 months of slow recovery following hospitalisation I shot recurve yesterday for the second time.

Last week I managed a dozen arrows from my competition recurve - 40# OTF - before I felt completely broken, yesterday with a 40 year old 27# club bow and 15 year old arrows I not only managed a Frostbite (3 dozen round) without collapsing and scoring a semi-decent total I even managed a 3 gold end :)

Hoping for steady improvement as my stamina gradually returns to previous levels.

Karl
Well done - don't overdo it.

Stick with the club bow for a while or get yourself some recuperation limbs.

- - - Updated - - -

Karl
Well done - don't overdo it.

Stick with the club bow for a while or get yourself some recuperation limbs.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I am so glad to hear that you are well enough to shoot again.
I think the two bows show just how important it is to have control over what you are trying to do with your shot process. It isn't so much about knowing what is right, as it is to be able to execute as you planned.
I remember the video you posted, and the comments I sent back. Part of your response was about not realising you were doing a particular action.
It is much easier to be clear about what we are actually doing when we are well within our comfort zone. After that we can transfer what we can do to the more stressful situation of higher draw weight or even competition.
Good shooting!!

Corax67

Thanks guys - it's going to be baby steps for a fair while I think, the CXT is going away until spring at the very earliest and I shall come to love the Border (mostly there already) and I can concentrate on Portsmouth and Frostbite rounds.

Geoff - on the lower poundage I can see so much easier the effects of fractionally different grip positions, mostly by where the string whacks my arm wherever it's not covered by the bracer �� as well as the effect on the arrow impact point.

I did shoot longbow during my convalescence which is nominally 45# @ 28" and found that I dropped into it very quickly but obviously the relative weightlessness of the actual bow combined with the rapid shot cycle makes a huge difference to shooting my competition recurve setup.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Karl, yes a longbow is lighter to lift and the shot process has more of a "run up " to the whole draw. Like getting up speed at the bottom of a hill before starting the climbing bit. Recurve is more deliberate in the preparation stage. I think the best thing about longbow shooting is the way the release feels as if it happens by itself. If that sensation could be bottled and drunk just before using the recurve..........................

Corax67

You are so right - longbow has definitely had a very positive effect on my release. When I started on it everything was twining and I was getting a lot of string slap on my bracer but with a chunk of guidance and advice from several club guru's it's all gone silent during my shooting.

This has definitely carried over to recurve which is a bonus.

Karl