First shoot at new club

Rog600

Well thanks to encouraging replies to another post, my 11yo and I have joined a club, we had a great Sunday afternoon having an induction session and introduction to the club and a few other members. Since then we've been itching to get back to the field. So I gave myself an early finish, picked up junior from home and we headed to the club.

Our collective competitive instinct kicked in so we tried a short junior Warwick; 374 to 348.

Can't wait to have another go at that because afterwards we tinkered with the bows and shot some longer distances (I was pretty chuffed with hitting the 100 yd boss with four from six!) and finishing on the 30 and 20yd targets, we'd improved since our impromptu contest.

Loving Archery; why didn't I start years ago....

Rog600

Delighted with my (just turned 11) son today; progressing much faster than me! He shot a junior western and scored 540.

I shot a western and got 555 including a low scoring but fantastically well-grouped 333 331 at 60yds. I'll take that silver-lining. 😂 Plenty of room for improvement! I'll have another crack at it this week.

Rog

Alison

Assuming you are both shooting recurve, in that case your son has just shot a Junior Bowman score! Even if it is compound, 540 for an Under 12 gent Junior Western is a good 2nd class score. Well done to both of you!

Alison

Another 2 scores like that and your son can claim a Junior Bowman badge. That can be done through your club. To get to Junior Master Bowman level he would need to be taking part in Record Status competitions, shooting rounds like a Bristol IV. From the sound of it, he could be aiming at that soon. Ask at your club if there are any local competitions that you can go to. There are sometimes novice competitions and ones just for juniors that are good to start at.

If you and your son don't want to do competitions yet, don't worry. Just enjoy your shooting!

Rog600

Thanks! With your encouragement he's shot two Bristol IV rounds this week and scored 789 and 828 (in the drizzly murk this morning) though he's still getting to grips with 40yds! He's tired, though, after 12 doz!

Onwards.

Alison

What are you feeding that child? Sorry, but I have been away for a while and only just seen your last 2 postings. The score required for an Under 12 boy shooting a recurve Bristol IV to gain Junior Master Bowman is 765. And your son has smashed that 3 times! Junior Master Bowman is the highest classification a junior can get. Adults can get Grand Master Bowman.

Your son can already claim his Junior Bowman badge through his club, but to claim Junior Master Bowman he needs to shoot 3 qualifying scores at UK or World Record status competitions or at competitions run by Archery GB. I hope your club is giving him the encouragement and support he deserves. Well done!

Rog600

Thanks, just standard fodder with a hint of junk.

I may be misunderstanding the classifications stuff but thought his last Bristol IV score of 946 was just shy of the Junior Master Bowman score (959).

More progress tonight; he improved his Junior Windsor score by a huge 2 points to 762 and would have gone higher but for getting sidetracked with wrong sight marks for the first doz and a half at 30yds. He actually scored fewer at 30yds than 40yds.

But the best bit was still to come; "Can I have a go at 50yds?" So we shot at a blank boss and he was sufficiently enthused to get a target face out. A timely appearance of one of the club coaches saw him moving the sight back towards the riser enabling him to get the sight ring back in the gold instead of on the top of the boss. That confidence of youth then took over...

Sounds like Scouts is taking a hit tomorrow night in favour of a Bristol round.

dgmultimedia

Supporter
Supporter
I'd get him signed up with a performance coach - he could be the youngest Archer in the next OG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alison

Sorry, you are quite right and I am an idiot. I was looking at the recurve Barebow table. For recurve 765 is for Junior Bowman and 959 is for Junior Master Bowman. Still incredible after such a short time. Your son can still claim his Junior Bowman badge but I bet it won't be long before he gets to the next level.

Alison

780 needed for a Recurve Junior Gent U12 shooting a Bristol III to get a Junior Master Bowman classification. As we are coming to the end of the outdoor season, I'd have a look at next year's shooting calendar and pencil in some dates at record status competitions before your son turns 12. Well done!