Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Discuss First tournament - how did you do? at the Club & Personal Achievements within Archery Interchange Forums; We had our first tournament yesterday. We've done a couple of "postals" and done okay, ...
    In the Blue AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar

First tournament - how did you do?

We had our first tournament yesterday. We've done a couple of "postals" and done okay, plenty of club nights and done okay but the competition yesterday was rather large wake up call; the sort that either encourages to up my game or puts me right off.

So many hours, a bit of shoulder aches, some issues with anchor point (I think my wrist release might have stretched - it's moved back to behind my neck!!) and a bit of digging deep, I ended up with a Hereford score of 1101. 71 golds, 143 hits (1 miss). Now in isolation that might have been quite good but compared to the others, I was quite simply, pants. 6th out of 6. First time I've ever come last in anything! I did one "6 in the gold" at 60 yards (once, several 5 golds) and several at 50 but it was not nearly enough - some errant "twitch" releases and a general lack of consistency just killed the score.

The high score was 1243, 5th was about 40 points ahead of me. I managed to "beat" a couple of female compounders but that was it.

My poor son (8) shot a Bristol IV and was so tired, he was in tears at one point - he got a medal (being the only one of his age that shot that round) but it was pretty hard on him too. And 40 yards is a long way for a little one!

So do we seek more coaching, should I change to a more solid release (thumb trigger maybe), should we practise more or something else?

It felt like we were progressing well - we started in February. Maybe expectations are too high? Anyway a bit of a knock back TBH.

I should probably add that archery is just a fun thing to do for us - we do a load of other stuff (running, surfing, karate, etc) so it'll never be "our lives" but it's nice to be decent at it.
    Mybo Origin
    Member of Bowmen Of Wadebridge
    Archery GB member

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the White
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernowlad View Post
    So do we seek more coaching, should I change to a more solid release (thumb trigger maybe), should we practise more or something else?

It felt like we were progressing well - we started in February. Maybe expectations are too high? Anyway a bit of a knock back TBH.
    Improvements wise, seeking out more coaching and practicing more will both help. A different release might, but depends entirely on how it feels to you - release aids are a highly personal choice and once you have a well built and reliable model, the variations of type don't really matter as long as it suits you.

That said, given you started in February, 1101 out of a possible 1296 for a Hereford is good going (ranking place is irrelevant at this stage, what matters is how your score compares to your own average - how did the score you shot compare to the scores you average in practice?), so I suspect the main issue is overly high expectations; you say you came 6th out of 6, but how long had the other competitors been shooting? How many times a week do they practice? Did they shoot above or below their average that day?

One of the best things about archery is that it offers a competitive environment, but ultimately you can only measure your performance against yourself - if you shot on or above your average, then it was a good day, regardless of where you came. If you shot below, then chalk it up to the pressures of a first completion and know you will do better next time
    thepensbybowman and chrisgas like this.

In the Black AIUK subscriber.

In any competition, like archery, the only person you are really competing against is yourself, you have absolutely no control over what others are doing, their skill level or experience. As this was your first competition, you now have a benchmark for the next one, so treat it just as a learning exercise and, with the length of time you've been shooting, I think you did really well.

Very helpful thanks Dan.
    All were experienced club shooters, the winner is fully sponsored so probably whs you'd call tough competition.
    Hard to know if it was okay or not without comparing.

I felt I shot okay; but the last place still hurt (maybe I am a bit too competitive...).

I'll keep trying and get some coaching lined up; while my new bow is far better, it has changed my position a bit so might need a bit more tweaking.

Thanks Geophys.

Practice, practice practice. If you are going to shoot Yorks/Herefords, then a good number of archers there will be MB/GMB level. So don't go to these expecting to win, esp. since you only started in Feb. You're going there for the experience/atmosphere, what you got out of it will help you in future competitions.

Well done to your son, for sticking it out, 12 dozen is a lot of arrows. I've been told that on a York the 100yds is there to break you, and for him the same can be said for 40yds. But keep up the practice, seek out advice and keep shooting.
    Longbows, the real bows.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast