Help me secure the range tight.

charlie655

Hi,

We are upgrading the security at the shooting range. We need to improve the security of our office door and the entrance. I am thinking about using the high-security locks. I would like to get your suggestions on the best lock for the range.

Here is a list of high-security lock manufacturers that I found online. High Security Locks Toronto | Door On The Go Can you recommend me the better brand and the lock?

Your advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Whitehart

Welcome - if somebody wants to get in, no lock, alarm or video surveillance is going to stop them. Make sure you are insured and fit approved locks.

ben tarrow

Hi,

We are upgrading the security at the shooting range. We need to improve the security of our office door and the entrance. I am thinking about using the high-security locks. I would like to get your suggestions on the best lock for the range.

Here is a list of high-security lock manufacturers that I found online. High Security Locks Toronto | Door On The Go Can you recommend me the better brand and the lock?

Thanks.
Depends on the standard of your doors, rather than the locks.
Steel Doors Suppliers East Yorkshire UK Custom Made Security Fire Doors

I've just seen your other post that says you're in Canada.
Perhaps if you add that to your profile, it'd help in providing you with geographically scoped info

Last edited:

bowser

bramah locks are some of the best locks available and they are a UK company, my advice would also be that the door is fine but the most vulnerable points are the hinges so get hinge bolts, two locks one at top and one at bottom would be better than one single higher strength lock.

my advice would also be to look at roof and walls, we have had at theft from a club I am a member at and they came in through the roof, despite being lined on the inside we had not taken into account the fact that it was not difficult to break and lever up the roof panel and kick the inside lining in, the expensive stuff was in locked security cabinets but they did ?1000 of damage just getting in!!!

In the end we spend 600 on an alarm with a 134 decibel speaker that is loud enough to cause physical pain and it is impossible even with ear defenders to be in the same room, and a cheap smoke curtain its enough to deter the most determined and way cheaper than trying to do the whole roof.

Its all about trying to persuade them to go elsewhere are you are too much trouble.

Hi,

Thanks.

ThomVis

Better check with your insurance company and local PD on advice about this. Also contact local locksmith, getting keys duplicated or getting in when locked out are options you may need in the future. Consider how many users there are and what the change rate is.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
you have to look at the all-round security. Where I used to work a very expensive computer plotter was stolen by thieves who drilled a hole in the door and used a jigsaw to cut the door in half. Door locks like the old fashioned ones they used to have on bank inner doors that throw bars out into the frame (bit like you get an garage doors but rack and pinion operated for the extra travel and strength) are brilliant if you can get hold of one.
In the UK one particular lock maker has very strong anti-burst locks so you cant drill or shoulder the lock or door but they are also as easy as a cheap lock to pick so you will have to consider how people might try to get in. In isolated areas using a SUV to pull the doors or shutters off is not uncommon so you have to have something inside that will slow them down once they have breached the external security