records not recognised by county association

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
An odd one here that I am looking for clarification on.
Organised a metric clout shoot last month and a number of junior county record scores were achieved. Now most of them had no previous score lodged because not many occasions to actually shoot clout locally but here is the problem. The county records officer refuses to accept the claims because he says that they were not shot at the correct distance for a WA clout match (ie under 14's shot at 90m as they should under AGB conditions and CRO says everything should be 125/165m). Now, call me awkward but the shoot obeyed all of the AGB rules and was shot under AGB aegis and AGB does have the records for the distances recorded so claims obviously can and have been made so why would anyone then make a unilateral decision on what wasnt done on the day when no claim for the shoot being a WA tournament?
Do other counties take this rather catholic view of metric shoots or it it just an issue with interpretation because if it is then there are no longbow metric records either and all of those posted should be scrubbed.

Take up of the event was mainly by those who hadnt done one before and that included a relatively large number of juniors so this spat will have an effect on future numbers of participants and also affect the morale of those who have competed with my encouragement in the belief that their efforts would be rewarded.

So, what do other counties do? Some are obvious but there are other counties where the clout records are sparse to say the least so it is impossible to tell what the method of recording is in this regard.
Now there will be a knock on from this inasmuch as recognition for people shooting distances that are longer than the norm for their age or gender so again, what would your county say about a 13 year old shooting a record score at 70m? Would they say it is an under 14 record or say it was an under 18 record because there is no official competition for a 13yo at 70m?. I would say that the score would be a record for the u14 because that is what the archer is otherwise why stop there. No ladies records for Nationals then if you are going to lump everyone together for example.

your tuppence worth please

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Check with AGB. From the horses mouth, so to speak.
Iirc my girls held clout records at their respective age distances under the SAA over a decade ago, but that was imperial, not metric.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
AGB does have the records for the relevant distances for the age group. My problem is CRO says WA rules apply so should have been shot at the same distance as ladies/gents when AGB has its metric distances as being age specific. The latter doesnt stop anyone shooting a longer disatnce than their age has set for records purposes but CRO reads it differently so he says a 12 YO doing a york cant set an age record because he has to enter that as a senior and thus the senior record score is the benchmark rather than saying wow, well done! so the damage to the enthusiasm is being done at both ends so to speak.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
How odd. What does AGB suggest the spirit of the rules should be?

Thinking about it, does that mean that if say a lady shoots a York she wouldn't have a record because she would have had to enter as a man? No. Groups are there for a reason (not just age but male/female too), to provide suitable distances (you show me a 10yo that can reach 125m) for the equipment and the child, and to encourage youngsters to measure their performance against their peers.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I have found this very useful guide - there are WA rules and distances and there are Archery GB Imperial and Metric distances

http://www.ncas.co.uk/judges/E_Clout Archery.pdf

pages 28 - 31 give the distances

I think your County Records officer is perhaps confusing WA and Archery GB Metric - at first glance this quite possibly easy to do if one is not familiar with Clout!

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I have found this very useful guide - there are WA rules and distances and there are Archery GB Imperial and Metric distances

http://www.ncas.co.uk/judges/E_Clout Archery.pdf

pages 28 - 31 give the distances

I think your County Records officer is perhaps confusing WA and Archery GB Metric - at first glance this quite possibly easy to do if one is not familiar with Clout!

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Oh and it would appear ARchery GB allow their Metric Clout to be shot using WA rules - so therein lies another possible confusion.

ben tarrow

AGB does have the records for the relevant distances for the age group. My problem is CRO says WA rules apply so should have been shot at the same distance as ladies/gents when AGB has its metric distances as being age specific. The latter doesnt stop anyone shooting a longer disatnce than their age has set for records purposes but CRO reads it differently so he says a 12 YO doing a york cant set an age record because he has to enter that as a senior and thus the senior record score is the benchmark rather than saying wow, well done! so the damage to the enthusiasm is being done at both ends so to speak.
Surely its up to your county (not your records officer) ultimately to decide what and how your county records are administrated, so if your CRO is applying rules that you think are unfair, take it up with your county general committee and ultimately (hmm, I've said "ultimately" 3 times now) the county membership at AGM