Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's new at your club?

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. cliveanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simon m
    Beginners course starts thursday night at berkhamsted Bowmen

Over subscribed with juniors mainley.....60 on a waiting list for 20 spaces
    20 spaces that's nice. Last year, our "Senior(?) coach took on the best part of 40 beginners It was too late when we found out the numbers. We told her, that if she tried that again, she'd have the lot to herself. The reason for so many ? she wanted to boost the club funds
    I love archery. It is the only time I can pull & score

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. simon m's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Our coaches refuse to over the 5 to 1 ratio really, to give maximum attention to each pupil, but they organise it themselves
    Hunting Custard........

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. cliveanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simon m
    Our coaches refuse to over the 5 to 1 ratio really, to give maximum attention to each pupil, but they organise it themselves
    We rope all archers in with 12months experience or more to assist. I will not go into the history of the coaching set-up, but to say that one coach (Senior-SELF APPOINTED) organises the course...we then tag along.
    Not the best way to do it, but the club will not change. I think the reason is "That if you're daft enough to run it....It's yours
    I love archery. It is the only time I can pull & score

Soaring I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. TJ Mason's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Wow, 5 to 1? We keep it down to no more than 2.3 to 1 (seven pupils to three instructors in our current sessions). Our thinking is that we're more interested in getting long-term members than in getting beginners course fees, so we want people to have plenty of shooting time and attention to encourage their interest, rather than have them standing around waiting to shoot.

We only rope in other senior members for specific tasks. We don't want too many different sources of advice to be coming at the beginners.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard
    Club: Phoenix Bowmen, Halifax, County: Yorkshire

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. simon m's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    5 to 1 is the coach to newbie ratio theres other archers present from the club, who will talk to the beginners etc.
    Hunting Custard........

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. hooktonboy's Avatar
    Thanks

What's new at your club?

This thread seems quiet? Must be loads going on, yeh?
    Next Sunday we're hosting a (very) friendly shoot - De Montfort Uni are joining us for arrows and lunch. Our friend and regular contributor to AIUK - DMU_AC - has just won his first senior (see threads elsewhere), so I'm going to sneakily hacksaw partway through his bottom limbs while he's eating!
    Steve
    JFDI

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast