Zero to 3rd class

Richie77

Picked up a bow in January this year and have just shot my third 3rd class recurve score!

Short Windor - 721

Short National - 482

Short Warwick - 360

Now to concentrate on the 252s for a little while before moving up to 60yds and shooting a grown-up round!

Berk

Well done, that's good going after starting in January. Good luck with moving up to 60 yards, it can be daunting but it's worth it when you get that good group in the gold.

Corax67

Well done - it's funny how addictive archery is and the classifications give great goals to chase.

Karl

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
the further away you are the more forgiving the scratch scores are to misses so in some respects getting a score of the same handicap rating seems easier. The problem then becomes one of expectation and many people will stick to distances they know they can hit the carget consistently at and that will halt their progress. Try starting by shooting Windsors as they give you a good mix of the longer distance along with equal numbers of arrows at the more familiar distances so it is easier to tell if your ups and downs are due to general form or a struggle at the longer range.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
quick anecdote about not giving in when you miss. I was shooting longbow at 100yds a couple of weeks ago and my first 23 arrows were all misses. I then got 4 consecutive golds and so scored my second ever 3 gold end and ended up with my highest score for 3 doz at 100yds and my best ever New National and that was with a rotten 80 yd score as well. Things can turn themselves around quite quickly if you dont lose your focus.

Corax67

quick anecdote about not giving in when you miss. I was shooting longbow at 100yds a couple of weeks ago and my first 23 arrows were all misses. I then got 4 consecutive golds and so scored my second ever 3 gold end and ended up with my highest score for 3 doz at 100yds and my best ever New National and that was with a rotten 80 yd score as well. Things can turn themselves around quite quickly if you dont lose your focus.
That is so true - I have had the same on longbow where a single end of 33 (9,7,7,5,5,Miss) after 5 consecutive nil ends saw me ending up with a bowman score & a club record on a New Warwick.

Persevere no matter how bad things are looking in a round :)

Karl

Richie77

Just a quick update, I ignored my own advice about concentrating on the 252's, moved straight up to 60yds and shot my third 2nd class score this morning!

Now it's back down to 40 to work in the 252s, my target is 252 @ 60yds by the end of the season!