Is 28 pound limbs for average beginner too weak?

lorcant

I've done my beginners archery and have signed up for the year. Last week I was using 24lb limbs and they felt fine.I have just ordered 28 lb SF axiom plus limbs but am wondering if maybe I should have gone for 30 or 32?Its not too late to change as my order wont be sent out until early next week. I'm 5'11,heavyish build, about 105kg. My draw length is 28". I've been reading that its better to use lower poundage to get my form and technique right before I move up the poundage but I dont want to have to get new limbs in 6 months!!Would 30 be better?

Rog600

Be guided by your coach.

Juniors (and waif-like juniors at that) at our club are shooting Portsmouth scores approaching 500 with 18# on their fingers.

Don't be in a hurry and find a supplier with a limb exchange. Or just end up with plenty of sets of limbs in your cupboard; I've found it useful to go back a set, work on something and then return to the heavier limbs.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
For right at the start, low 20s is considered normal, going down sub 20 in some cases or for kids.
For first own bow 28 sounds reasonable, but it's not a "one size fits all" kind of thing.

(Note: I started on 28 to 32 pound bows with no problems and my first bow was marked at 36... But then I had a shortish draw).

fbirder

I'm 6'5" and quite chunky. When I bought my first bow I thought that anything guess than 32 pounds was obviously far too wimpy for me.

That was how I wasted 4 months, fighting against limbs that were just too heavy for me. Luckily, I wasn't stupid enough to not realise this, so I got a set of 26 pound limbs and could finally concentrate on developing decent form without struggling to pull the bloody arrow back more than 30 times in one session.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I'm 6'5" and quite chunky. When I bought my first bow I thought that anything guess than 32 pounds was obviously far too wimpy for me.

That was how I wasted 4 months, fighting against limbs that were just too heavy for me. Luckily, I wasn't stupid enough to not realise this, so I got a set of 26 pound limbs and could finally concentrate on developing decent form without struggling to pull the bloody arrow back more than 30 times in one session.
I did something similar, though not deliberately... I shot that first bow for about a year, then got a 32 pound KG1 secondhand, because it was a much better bow. It was a couple of years before I got heavier limbs again.

MiztaZiggy

Depends what distance youre shooting. If it's a 20yd Portsmouth then pretty much any limb will do. Lighter limbs certainly aren't wimpy.

I started with SF 24# otf and moved up to 30, now 36 (42 otf) quite recently.
Im still a novice though I have a competition tomorrow indoors at 20 and I'm going back to using the 24#.
Simple reason being they're much easier to get good form and better scores.
With the 36# I average 520ish whereas with the 24# I can average 530 to 540.

If you're shooting outdoors and using heavier aluminium arrows, you might want to increase slightly for longer distances.
Though even saying that, my 24# were fine at up to 60yd with jazz arrows, right at the bottom of the sight.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
28# seems a good choice as light enough to hone technique but enough to allow you to shoot all distances. I use 28~ limbs but have a longer draw so 30~otf. 100 yds- no problems. Use it for clout and even do 185m metric clout with under 30deg elevation so you wont be underbowed Your arrows will make the difference for the longer distances so look there for spending your money once your bow and limbs have arrived.
Heavier draw weight does have advantages once the technique is sorted but if you startoff with too high a draw weight you are more likely to suffer and as a result be more prone to chuck it all in, which would be a shame.

Marcus37

I started out on 25# limbs, As I was advised to do so in order to learn form etc with out the added complication of a heavy bow, and it was the right move. As a new archer may not have developed the muscles involved in archery. Tho that was not a issue for me, my issue was a old wrist injury that caused me to twist my wrist at full draw, hence the switch to compound.

Porkster

I'm 6'2 using a 70" bow. I started with 28lb wood/fiberglass limbs about 5 months ago. I bought a second set of 28lb carbon/foam limbs (wood/fiberglass stacks too quickly after 28 inch draw - up to 35lbs at my 30 inches) I have tried 36lb wood/carbon but my coach has me back on 28lbs. "Technique beats power every time". I last almost a days shooting (as long as its not a 1400) with 28lb, with the 36lb limbs I barely make an hour.
Shot clout just over a week ago (165 meters) 28lbs makes that distance fine. Was at more of an angle than most (good thing - no skips on hard ground and easier to spot) but it does get affected by wind (4 seconds travel time for the arrow).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 6'2 using a 70" bow. I started with 28lb wood/fiberglass limbs about 5 months ago. I bought a second set of 28lb carbon/foam limbs (wood/fiberglass stacks too quickly after 28 inch draw - up to 35lbs at my 30 inches) I have tried 36lb wood/carbon but my coach has me back on 28lbs. "Technique beats power every time". I last almost a days shooting (as long as its not a 1400) with 28lb, with the 36lb limbs I barely make an hour.
Shot clout just over a week ago (165 meters) 28lbs makes that distance fine. Was at more of an angle than most (good thing - no skips on hard ground and easier to spot) but it does get affected by wind (4 seconds travel time for the arrow).

jerryRTD

Technique does not beat power every time, you have to get the arrow out to the distance required, there are also some points of form that are more difficult with a light bow. In particular that last bit of the draw, full movement of the draw arm shoulder is easier to achieve if you have to do it. Archers tend to draw with their arms when using lighter poundage limbs