Is this acceptable from a coach?

urbin

"Clear the range" and "you may nock and release" seem like odd range commands to me. Sounds like he made up his own safety routine an then didn't explain it well or at all.

I also don't agree with the coach issuing range commands and then shooting himself.

Seems poorly organised. When we shoot inside we use unambiguous verbal commands and these are only issued by the DOS ("You may collect your arrows").

lbp121

Had my first experiences been like that I wouldn't now have 20 years shooting behind me or be running beginners courses and have a go events!

Dansig

as a coach in other sports that are just as dangerous as archery can be I would have thrown the students out if they had broken the safety rules.
at my shooting range a guest broke the rules and got a year ban from all club facilities.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I also don't agree with the coach issuing range commands and then shooting himself.
Best thing he could do to himself IMHO :D

Seriously - if you are new to an activity the last thing you need is someone barking ludicrous commands at you. I don't know of any instructors who don't give 1 to 1 when people are new - they just need quietly helped to get the basics in a friendly way.

The language in his report shows his attitude and he has clearly put himself on some sort of pedestal - maybe folks are hoping he doesn't show up again!!

RichG

Let's face it, even without the Grumpy Coach, this was a disaster waiting to happen.

30+ First time beginners whose first language is not English, only 3 Coaches, not enough equipment to go round....

T

the-poet

I don't think he's a "coach" in the sense we think of as a coach.
Ie, is he qualified by AGB, though this is no means a garantee of competency it would at least have him on the same page.

grimsby archer

What a self-important dick-head.
I think such a personal attack is uncalled for, unless you know this individual personally.

Whilst an experienced archer is "qualified" in the eyes of archerygb to teach beginners without any formal coaching qualifications or [coaching] experience, it is a very difficult task indeed to be put infront of and incharge of a large number of beginners, with inadequate facilities (the article states 33 people to 3 "coaching" staff and not enough equipment)
Whilst I dont condone the apparent attitude or methodology of this individual, its understandable that he/she is frustrated at being lumped with instructing this group with inadequate training him/her self when really he/she would clearly much rather be enjoying him/herself practising his/her sport, or drinking alcohol.

So, lets not all jump on the bandwaggon condemning this individual, and chucking rocks without considering the circumstances.
Yes, I agree that he/she should go and do something else, hopefully doing a proper coaches course

Kickaha

GA:

I agree that condemnation without the full facts is unfair, my main concern is the attitude displayed in the post.

As one poster in this thread said, if that was the first experience some of us received in archery it would also be the last.

Dansig

after reading the post again I really can't see that the "coach" did anything wrong or treated the customers badly in any way, the post is written by the coach describing his experience and thoughts not by a customer that was unhappy with his teachings.

all coaches have experienced frustration with their customers, it would be unnatural not to, but showing that frustration is wrong and most coaches can hold it in until the customer is gone, this coach uses the internet to vent, that is wrong since one of his customers might read his post, other than that i think he handled it decently.

Furface

Supporter
Personally, I do not know what the expected wording to be used in Ireland is, and the wording used does not seem illogical. safety instructions are critical, and there is a potential challenge involved in teaching them to people who do not necessarily have English as their first language, such as Erasmus students. Perhaps it is inappropriate venting one's frustration on the internet, but I dare say most of us on here have done similar.

Bertybobby

Sounds like someone who has watched "an officer and a gentleman" too many times.

Fancies himself as US Marine Corps Drill Sergeant...

Class A t*t!