The addictive nature of archery

I'm sure we've all had "just one more [end]" days, where we need to shoot just one more end, just one more end, until a satisfactory score is achieved.

I was reading a review in New Scientist the other day of a book called "Irresistible; Why we can't stop checking, scrolling, clicking and watching" by Adam Alter about behavioural addictions.

The 6 behavioural addiction factors identified by the author are:
1 Feedback - a near win is more compelling than a guaranteed reward;
2 Goals - which should be just beyond reach;
3 Progress, through a sense of incremental mastery;
4 Escalation, via progressively more difficult tasks;
5 Cliffhangers, to provide tension that demands resolution; and
6 Strong social connections.

Alter comments that "Despite their diversity, today's behavioural addictions embody at least one of those six ingredients".

Perhaps if those are the hallmarks of activities that are addictive, I shouldn't be surprised at the need to shoot just one more end, as I reckon archery embodies all six of those factors!

ben tarrow

But equally, some of us have "addictive" personalities.
People who are more likely than others to go that one step further, are motivated by those progressively more difficult tasks and who will recursively have just one more go to achieve that result that is so temptingly just out of reach.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I can see all of those in archery. I would add that I enjoy just launching arrows.Enjoying something helps to get you wanting more.

ben tarrow

Personally, I've found there to be 2 types of people in sport. The "team" player who wants to run around a field with others kicking balls around, and the "solo" player who prefers to do sports like archery, golf where the individual takes credit when it goes well, but is the only one responsible when it doesnt.
In children, the solo player is often more likely to be in the chess club than the football team at school.