Advise on recovery

dave lpb

Hi I am currently out of action on the archery front due to a torn shoulder muscle :eek:uch: (of all the things I do daily it was combination of lifting things in work & awkwardly moving a box that did it), did it Tuesday but it's already driving me crazy not being able to shoot.:hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:

I am just wondering if anyone knows of good ways to aid the recovery (doc just says to take ibuprofen).
Also something I was wondering is once it's healed is it worth dropping my bow poundage for a bit or would just shooting a few ends & gradually easing back in to it at current weight be ok?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Argh, sorry about the injury - how frustrating and painful! Muscles can take a very long time to get right.

In addition to the Ibuprofen, I'd recommend a TENS machine (I got mine off Ebay for ?10). It is good for gently working the muscles, improves blood flow (as it's working the muscles) and is supposed to help with pain relief.

I use mine for warming down after a session as well.

I wouldn't go straight back to your bow. If you have a stretchy band, start with that to test the water as it were. If you are finding that ok, a lighter pair of limbs will be a help.

Finally if it doesn't get it together in 4-6 weeks, perhaps seeing a physio will help.I stupidly shot through a shoulder injury and it was the advice of a physio with specific exercises, some effective strapping, and some minor posture correction that cured the problem quite speedily in the end.

Good luck!

dave lpb

Thanks for the response Timid toad, I'll look in to getting one of those TENS machines. I have a few different stretch bands so will start off with the lighter ones & work my way through them. Unfortunately I don't have any lighter limbs (foolishly sold them when I got my current ones) but suppose Ill have to speak nicely to the club equipment officer & they will let me use one of the clubs light bows.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
That's a good idea (unless you have 31" draw length, when you will encounter stack in a big way!)

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
been there done that had the surgery!
a sports physio is a good call. theraband exercises are good but you want the physio to check your range of movement and get you moving all the pertinent muscles. swimming as well ... the ultimate high rep low weight is good for strengthening muscles slowly - breast stroke is best

Phil Reay

had keyhole surgery 4 weeks ago and got really bad withdrawal symptoms now. Physio gives me exercises to do at home but doesn't do anything personally. exercises do seem to work and hoping to try a 20lb beginners bow in a couple of weeks and then a 32 before getting back to my 36. just hope it doesn't take too long to get up where I left off. Take it steady and don't push too hard (that's what I've been told anyway) or it can take longer and hurt more. Good luck.

Tuck

I recently ( Feb 2013) returned after some time out due to a back injury/problem, started with 24# limbs for 5 weeks then 30# for 8 weeks then up to 34# for 6 weeks then back up to 36/38 # limbs.
Worked fine for me.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.