Annoying Archery Clich?s

R

rgsphoto

OK who else out there has to listen to endless annoying references to Robin Hood, Erol Flinn and green tights? Any other comments you have to endure from friends and family?

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I just tell them about the size of my long-rod and they tend to go away.

Mick

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
For some reason I tend to get a lot of comments about shooting apples off heads.... And they won't believe you when you tell them William Tell used a crossbow.

English Bowman

These are some of the things that annoy me.
People talking about "firing" a bow / arrow. There are no explosives involved, and I don't set light to my arrows (as a rule) so I shoot or loose, I never "fire"
The Welsh invented the longbow. Not even remotely true.
A crossbow is more powerful than a longbow, and has a longer range. Not in my experience.
The French would cut off an Englishman's drawing fingers. Why? Why not just kill him, he's worth nothing as ransom, so what's the point of keeping him alive? Where did this myth come from?
Arrows can't go through armour. Battlefield Detectives have a lot to answer for. The faked tests and lies on TV annoyed me.
As for other TV and film portrayals of archery, people running around with permanently braced longbows that they can hold at full draw indefinitely until given the command to fire! Arrghhh.

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
You try living with the surname Hood and then decide to take up Archery......

To add to the list

Speaking with Amercians who automatically think that you are shooting animals.
Films where you can draw arrows out of a quiver on your back and fire at a rate of one every 2 seconds
"Robin-Hooding" an arrow leaves a beautifully split arrow with the new one stuck in the middle of the boss.

Sponge.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
English Bowman said:
These are some of the things that annoy me.
People talking about "firing" a bow / arrow. There are no explosives involved, and I don't set light to my arrows (as a rule) so I shoot or loose, I never "fire"
And they look puzzled when you point out that pople were "shooting" long before guns were invented...:sigh:
English Bowman said:
The French would cut off an Englishman's drawing fingers. Why? Why not just kill him, he's worth nothing as ransom, so what's the point of keeping him alive? Where did this myth come from?
There's number of websites perpetuate that one. They usually have the British maiming the French though, after Agincourt or Crecy. It's posited as the source of the "v-sign" as an insult...
English Bowman said:
As for other TV and film portrayals of archery, people running around with permanently braced longbows that they can hold at full draw indefinitely until given the command to fire! Arrghhh.
Wasn't there an episode of Buffy, where they were sitting around watching a martial arts film and the eponymous heroine piped up "He so couldn't do that from a standing start!"...?
I'm sure all of us get stick for the muttered-under-the-breath comments during films. I know I do.

chris

i like to "fire"an arrow into a french brest plate and then put my 2 fingers up to crossbow geza from italy then do a runa befor i get me hand muterlated.
but then i live in dudely:mischievo we aint got no apple's ,they get scrumped.
chris

Meddler

My daughter now refuses to sit with me when I critique Legolas for his rate of "fire" in LOTR, Guinivere in King Arthur, the girl in Chronicles of Narnia....

I now just have to look at her when any archery is shown on TV and she cringes... :)

Meddler

I once had to explain to someone that it would be difficult to hold up a bank with a bow and arrow... They can see you coming... It's not easy to hide a bow, now is it?

:duh:

SLOWHAND

Whenever I tell anyone that I'm into Archery the standard reply is "Oh, I tried that at Centre Parks once and I was quite good at it" What they mean is that they shot a 15lb trainer bow at ten yards on a full sized target.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I must be lucky - anybody that finds out I do archery just seems to be impressed!! My old man has my medals and asks for each one I win!! :beer:

Field Archer

I was asked once, ?Where do you arch?. Seemed a strange question at the time, but when I thought about it, it was quite a reasonable one. Runners run, golfers golf and rowers row, so why shouldn?t archers arch.

Mick

Ironman
After I took up archery, one of my "so called" mates abandoned calling me by my first name and now calls me Robin !!! Grrrr. Worse still when we meet or when he phones He insists on singing the old TV theme tune to "The adventures of Robin Hood". He thinks it's highly amusing and as for the cracks about green tights............ I took the view that if I ignored his comments he would soon tire of the joke. Well five years on I just answered the phone to hear....... Yes you guessed , Robin Hood Robin Hood riding through the glen.... Will they never cease?

laminatekid

I tend to find people are more interested in what injury my bow would do if i shot them"would it stick in me?"sort of comments.....oh and they always rub their fingers on the point of an arrow and tell you its sharp!!!

Marcus26

The one I find funny is that people say "so you do archering" and then mimic the action of drawing a bow. Happens all the time.
I have never seen anyone say "So you play basketball" then mimic a jump shot, or "So, you are into Polo are you" and then pretend to ride a horse around the room swinging a bat.