ATA to DL relationship

Kenjichan

Hey all. Quick question maybe overthinking on my part...

I presently shoot an APA Mamba X39, with an HBX release. To get the string to brush my nose and touch the corner of my mouth with my kisser(loop material), I had to lengthen my DL module to 31" + .75" loop, 31.75" DL. My form is good; shoulders, elbows and what have you, as checked by the senior members of my club. The problem I have with this is that I can't meet the jaw bone with my knuckles. I've fiddled with different modules and d-loop lengths but the angle of the string doesn't allow me to get all three anchor points.

I am going to purchase a Podium X Elite 40 for my target bow, but am having trouble deciding if I should get the #3 cam which allows me to set for 29,29.5, and 30" DL.
Or the #4 cam which allows for 30.5,31,31.5" DL.

#3 cam ATA is 40 7/16 and #4 ATA is 40 3/4. Because the string angle is going to change from my 39 ATA Mamba, then my DL will also change. But to what degree is confusing me a bit. I don't want to get the wrong cam... My thinking is that the #3 cam makes more sense, but any opinions are welcome!

Dreadz

Are you trying to get too many reference points all at once? I was under the impression that yr anchor point will alter slightly with changes in distance to keep the peep in the correct position so trying to get anchor, peep, mouth and nose all at the same time may be asking too much?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Kenjichan

No, I don't think so because I'm only going to be shooting 50m with the Podium. My APA will be my indoor and field bow.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think that getting string to nose contact is not one of the most vital references.Trying to get nose to string contact by changing drawlength seems a backwards step. It's like wearing built up shoes so you can reach the pedals on your bike; instead of lowering the saddle.
If I was fitting a bow for my own use, I would set the draw length so the string reaches the front of my jaw at full draw. Then change the d-loop so my draw arm/elbow is well placed when using my release aid.; making sure I had a good reference between knuckles and jaw at the same time.
Shorter bows obviously move the string away from the nose( all other things being equal) but that isn't so serious. A kisser button can be positioned to reach the nose if need be.I have done that for years, but without it I shoot no worse.( heehee)

Kenjichan

I actually prefer the string to brush my nose and the kisser to just touch my mouth, it keeps my head position honest. As I mentioned, my form seems to be good, but I want to keep those 2 reference points as well as the knuckles. That's why I went with a longer ATA bow, but I'm not sure how to calculate what kind of DL I'll be looking at...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, with the kisser higher up the string, so the nose naturally reaches it, feels like nose to string contact. It allows the head to stay upright rather than having to tilt down.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Hey all. Quick question maybe overthinking on my part...

I presently shoot an APA Mamba X39, with an HBX release. To get the string to brush my nose and touch the corner of my mouth with my kisser(loop material), I had to lengthen my DL module to 31" + .75" loop, 31.75" DL. My form is good; shoulders, elbows and what have you, as checked by the senior members of my club. The problem I have with this is that I can't meet the jaw bone with my knuckles. I've fiddled with different modules and d-loop lengths but the angle of the string doesn't allow me to get all three anchor points.
I'm guessing that the link below shows what you are trying to achieve?...
http://www.g5outdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/G5-PIC-2-anchor-points.png

I'm also guessing your knuckles hang off the back of the jaw bone corner. It would be easier to assess with a picture of the anchor, but some people do have shorter jaw profiles than others. If your jaw bone is in the gap between your forefinger and middle finger for most of its length, and you are not over drawing, you are probably good to go. If your corner of the jaw bone is away from the knuckles you probably have not enough head rotation towards the target. This can also result with an incorrect longer DL. Also ensure you have enough wrap around the release with your fingers or this will move the knuckles back by up to 0.75".

I am going to purchase a Podium X Elite 40 for my target bow, but am having trouble deciding if I should get the #3 cam which allows me to set for 29,29.5, and 30" DL.
Or the #4 cam which allows for 30.5,31,31.5" DL.
To be honest I don't think the extra 1" of ATA on the Podium will make much difference. Depending on the cam profile it may not change the string angle at all. I would check first by trying one. This is really the best way to find out what cam you need. You can also get shorter release aids, with shorter necks if this is a problem.

Shirt

Knuckles don't meet jaw - how, exactly?

Too low, too far back, too far forwards?

If it's too far back, knock something off the d-loop. Short d-loop helps here. You could also take 1/4" off the draw, and roll your anchor up your face slightly (hand a bit more vertical) which will move your kisser down a little but simultaneously keep your nose on the string.

For my money, kisser button in the corner of your mouth is way too vague to be consistent. Get the jawbone and nose and then put the kisser button (if you want to keep using it, they are by no means a requirement or universal) somewhere that you can feel it - which may well be against a tooth, incisors are good for this.

Kenjichan

As I said,I don't get the jawbone and nose. The string angle only allows one or the other, not both. If I line it up to jaw, then the string is in front touching air, and a little bit of lip.

urbin

It's far more important to get contact with your release hand on your jaw. If the string doesn't touch the nose (even if you add a nose kisser?) then just forget about it.