Bow set up driving me crazy

Dr. B

I posted on another thread about my arrows catching something on the bow on release and scraping the fletchings off.
Well, I took it to the shop and had them look at it.
They made a few changes to the button and rest, but also noticed my nocking point was a little high - 6mm. So, they re-nocked it at 4mm.
A day later I went to shoot it, and the arrows were noticably hitting the shelf of my riser.
I checked the nocking point, and it was 8mm!
I know things can change over time, but I literally took the bow down one day and set it up the next.
The string isn't on upside down before anyone asks. Bracing height the same, etc.
I could jut re-nock it, but it's still a mystery how it can change so much...

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Do your limbs seat properly? Take a washable marker, set your bow up then draw round your limb bolts on to the limb. Then take it down then take it apart completely and set it up again. Sometimes the dovetails are too snug/loose and don't make a good or reliable fit. It will not have a noticeable affect on BH, but tiller may change, so it's worth checking.

Dr. B

I'll check, but tiller will only affect the nocking point by a small amount I would have thought.
By the way, I checked the tiller - exactly the same as was measured in the shop.

bolerus

I had something similiar to this a couple of years ago. well not the same.

For me, as I was shooting my brace height was noticably reducing. over the course of a shoot the brace height was reducing by as much as half an inch. Had many conversations with sid at border. eventually noticed that one of the ball barings on the limb was sticking so it wasnt locking into the riser.

No idea if that could be your problem but may be worth checking.

Newalpost

I'm really no expert but have you considered that the string is stretching. I had a Dacron string once that would lose tension and drop the bracing height after every end. Never used Dacron again.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Maybe a silly question but. Are you using one or two nock points? If you are using two. Did the shop set the height using the top of the bottom nock and you are checking using the bottom of the top nock?