Bows on public transport

Hidden Hippo

I got back into shooting a couple of months back and have had the "joy" of a large Striker double bow case on London buses since. What do compounders generally use for taking kit on public transport?

I've been looking around and there are very few cases which seem like they'd offer much in the way of protection (soft cases etc) without being excessively heavy. Merlin's double case looks great, but at 5kg it's quite a bit of additional weight to carry around.

I realise the obvious answer is drive, but.... London.

Marcus37

Personally I use a Mybo messengers bag for my compound and kit on the rare occasions I have to use public transport. Yes this bag is heavy but it protects my bow in the centre pocket of the bag with the soft inserts giving extra to my cams. On the train up to clickers it's not to bad, slides nicely underneath the table. I would like a wheely hard case but the cost is a issue. In London a wheely would be a must for the tube etc, but you could consider a modified large wheely suitcase if you have the diy skills.
As far as the law is concerned I think as long as it's in a case your ok.

Corax67

I've taken my recurve on bus and tube in an Easton Pro-Tour backpack - obviously it annoyed every other commuter but that's the joy of public transport up to and in old London town.

Karl

Corax67

Longbow travels in a fishing rod hold-all tube, arrows in an artists expandable hard tube with quiver & bits in a little Berghuas hydration cycling backpack.

Karl

Hidden Hippo

The biggest issue with my wheelie is it doesn't fit anywhere on a train. Luggage racks way too small. Bike racks work but not so ideal.

How heavy is the messenger bag? I've considered it and the messenger looks like a good deal, particularly right now, but I worry it's ​a bit cumbersome.

Anyone tried the Avalon semi-rigid cases with the back straps?

No issues as to legality, not concerned about that.

Marcus37

The biggest issue with my wheelie is it doesn't fit anywhere on a train. Luggage racks way too small. Bike racks work but not so ideal.

How heavy is the messenger bag? I've considered it and the messenger looks like a good deal, particularly right now, but I worry it's ​a bit cumbersome.

Anyone tried the Avalon semi-rigid cases with the back straps?

No issues as to legality, not concerned about that.
The bag and all the extras that come with it are about 4kg empty, fully loaded with all my kit and tools etc it's about 20kg. Yes it's on the heavy side, but it comes with a shoulder strap and a hand strap, I have little choice when it comes to bags and cases as my bow is 46" (roughly) cam tip to cam tip most bow cases don't fit.

For ?30 it's a real bargain, very well made, extra protection for the cams with the adjustable pockets, zip contains the bow in the centre of the bag.

Messenger Compound Case - Blossom from Merlin Archery Ltd

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
The bag and all the extras that come with it are about 4kg empty, fully loaded with all my kit and tools etc it's about 20kg. Yes it's on the heavy side, but it comes with a shoulder strap and a hand strap, I have little choice when it comes to bags and cases as my bow is 46" (roughly) cam tip to cam tip most bow cases don't fit.

For ?30 it's a real bargain, very well made, extra protection for the cams with the adjustable pockets, zip contains the bow in the centre of the bag.

Messenger Compound Case - Blossom from Merlin Archery Ltd
I REALLY wish I'd spotted that before spending ?35 on one of their "normal" soft cases.

DOH!!! :sigh:

Marcus37

I REALLY wish I'd spotted that before spending ?35 on one of their "normal" soft cases.

DOH!!! :sigh:
that's just typical XD and the reason I look all the way through the section before I settle on a product, I have done the same as you in the past.