Buying a new compound bow, draw weight

Marcus37

I'm looking at a new compound bow, and have settled on the PSE Supra ext.
at the moment i shoot a 35lb draw on my mission rally. It's not hard and it's not very light for me, it's kinda in the middle as to how it feels on draw.

My question is, should I order the 30 - 40lb version or the 40 - 50lb version, as I'm totally unsure what to do??? As I'm sure I could get used to a slightly stronger draw buts is it a good idea??

jerryRTD

The simple and best answer for you iis to go on using the Mission until you have built up your draw weight to around 50 lbs. If your draw weight is 35 lb how are you going to manage a 4.7 pound bow? do you have the core strength for that?
Next. What do you expect the Supra to do for you that the Mission can't do? you could well achieve a better increase in performance by up grading your sight, scope, stabs release or arrows.
I would like to know more about you before say much more.

AndyW

If you're happy with 35 and I'm guessing you're relatively new to compound and an adult male I would go with the 40 - 50 as the increase to 40 is no biggy and you can adjust as you gain strength.
If you are not all that strong and feel 40 is all you can manage for whatever reason, impaired / small / whatever then stick with the 30 - 40 as bows tend to be more efficient when maxed out but that's marginal. To put in perspective I'm 5'7'' not overly fit and fairly lazy when it comes to how often I shoot and I shoot 60lb with various compounds and could shoot a 50lb compound all day.
P.S. If you are going to bottom the limbs out always keep the manufacturers recommended minimum turns on the limb bolts. If cost is a consideration factor in a set of new arrows don't assume the current arrows will see you through all the way to 50 at some point you will need to bite the bullet. If it were me I would buy arrows spined for 50 about 2 inches longer than needed and you can cut back as you increase poundage to stiffen the shafts. That way you can avoid having to buy 2 extra sets.

Marcus37

As far as holding the bow up, that's not so much an issue as I have no trouble holding my rally up to aim, for around 100 arrows a time 2 times a week, after shooting I'm a little stiff but that's it. The reason I only shoot 35lb at the moment is that I have only been shooting since October, so yes I'm quite new, but love the sport.
The other is that my last sport was distance road cycling, which I have retired from due to a major knee injury caused by being hit by a car while training back in 2009 after being in the sport for 20 years. So all my strength is in my legs and lower body. And I'm having to retrain my body for a new sport. And just to show my skill level at this time, this afternoon i shoot a 252 badge round with a max possible score of 324, my score was 322 @ 30 yards.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Compound shooting draw weight is hard to judge IMO (I'm fairly new to it too) because that weight is only for the first 2/3 of the draw then it lets right off.
I'm generally pretty strong (a lifetime of swimming, surfing, weights, gymnastics, martial arts, etc) and shoot at 50lbs but might increase it now we're outdoors BUT after 60 arrows on an indoor Portsmouth round (best so far is 543 scored) I do feel it in my right shoulder/lat - that's what to consider; what can you draw comfortably 60+ times not a few times.

Marcus37

this is the thing, it's the repeating draw that will take its toll, I think I will up my rally's draw weight to 40lb and shoot it at that for a week or too and see how it goes.

jerryRTD

OK the Mission is four pounds what have you got fitted to it and how much does the complete bow and accessories weigh?

Marcus37

On the bow I have:
Midas long rod and 4 extra mid weights (no idea of total I just added until it was right for me).
Midas launcher.
Surloc challenger sight, mac Blackhawk scope 0.5.
A very small peep (no idea what it is, it was on the bow when I got it 2nd hand)
Bow sling.

Oh and some times my clip on stand when I forget to take it off XD.

I have no idea of total weight, but I would gess it's getting towards 6lb...I may be wrong.

jerryRTD

That's a good set up, at some time in the near future you should consider adding an offset bar and a single 12 inch short rod with around six mid weights set up to balance the sight and sight window so that you have a central bubble without having to hold it there. Also an increase in the front weight to rebalance and improve stability of aim . Only when you are happy that you feel comfortable with the weight of you rig should you consider a heavier bow.( Have a look at the show us your compound set up thread .)

Marcus37

I can't take full credit for my set up, I had a lot of help and advice from my club mates, while choosing my kit.
I have a short rod on my to get list, as well as a off set bracket. But a better realise has to come first as I'm using a cheap wrist realise, I'm thinking the truball glory, as I like the wrist style over thumbs that I have tried that friends shoot (carter chocolate & truball fang) the index finger shot just feels right to me (and yes I know about potential consistency issues)

I will take your advice and hold off on the new bow, as much as I love the look of the supra... it totally looks like a batman bow XD which is what caught my eye. I guess I'm still a kid at hart :)

Thanks

jerryRTD

. I guess I'm still a kid at hart :)

Thanks
Aren't we all .As for wrist releases I like Carter, I have a Two Shot and a Like Mike but I trigger with the middle finger using the knuckle of the first finger behind the jawbone just below the ear as an anchor.

ThomVis

I think I will up my rally's draw weight to 40lb and shoot it at that for a week or too and see how it goes.
Do that and keep at it until it feels comfortable. Then get a 40-50# bow. Or train a tad longer and jump to a 50-60#, with 2x 100 arrows a week that should be possible. It also depends on what distances you want to shoot. If you only shoot indoor there is no need to up the poundage.
And a hand held release for sure, thumb trigger is save to start with.

jerryRTD

If you want to use a wrist release then do so, don't take any notice of those telling tales of target panic. I have always considered that the people most prone to TP have a need to get the shot right in the middle of the 10. This leads to one of a number of things . Firstly they will loose off the shot as soon as they see the pin in the centre, classic drive by, or they will freeze up unable to trigger the release for fear that the triggering will move the pin off the ten. You have to accept that there will be a little drift , that the pin will float around in the ten, look for that point of stability, that small drift and trigger the shot then.
I like the Two Shot because it has a light but not hair trigger. Heavy triggers lead to anticipation, when will the release go off, what pressure and while you are thinking that as you squeeze the trigger your attention is diverted keeping the aim and back tension on. Failure to keep the back tension on will result in creep and snatch back. I know that as soon as my trigger finger moves the arrow is gone, simple. I don't like any release that has a trigger that gets heavier when more back tension is applied.

Last edited:

Marcus37

I anchor the same way, but use my ring finger, to stop me punching. Mine is a ?22 starter one for now, as I was unsure weather I wanted wrist or thumb when I started.

Marcus37

Do that and keep at it until it feels comfortable. Then get a 40-50# bow. Or train a tad longer and jump to a 50-60#, with 2x 100 arrows a week that should be possible. It also depends on what distances you want to shoot. If you only shoot indoor there is no need to up the poundage.
And a hand held release for sure, thumb trigger is save to start with.
I shoot indoor in the winter, outdoors summer, at the moment I'm practicing 30 yards.

Marcus37

If you want to use a wrist release then do so, don't take any notice of those telling tales of target panic. I have always considered that the people most prone to TP have a need to get the shot right in the middle of the 10. This leads to one of a number of things . Firstly they will loose off the shot as soon as they see the pin in the centre, classic drive by, or they will freeze up unable to trigger the release for fear that the triggering will move the pin off the ten. You have to accept that there will be a little drift , that the pin will float around in the ten, look for that point of stability, that small drift and trigger the shot then.
I like the Two Shot because it has a light but not hair trigger. Heavy triggers lead to anticipation, when will the release go off, what pressure and while you are thinking that as you squeeze the trigger your attention is diverted keeping the aim and back tension on. Failure to keep the back tension on will result in creep and snatch back. I know that as soon as my trigger finger moves the arrow is gone, simple. I don't like any release that has a trigger that gets heavier when more back tension is applied.
The only time I get slight TP was when I first started on a 3 spot indoors, mainly due to the fact that the other 2 compound shooters hit a X 90% of the time. But after they spoke to me telling me that they do that as both have been shooting for years and just to focus on the shot rather than the end result to start with I was ok and a lot more relaxed.

The realise I'm useing does load a little at full draw, but not enough to affect the shot process, as unloaded it is a hair trigger so a slight pull with my ring finger sets it off, the truball glory has a very adjustable trigger so I can have the same feel, it has the same jaw type. and is not a silly price.

ThomVis

If you want to use a wrist release then do so, don't take any notice of those telling tales of target panic.
TP and punching can happen with any kind of release. But a hand held release doesn't suffer from sliding wrist strap inconsistencies.