Cartel fletching jig query

Nige52

Hi,
New member here, I'm also new to archery and am having problems with my brain trying to figure out a feature on this tool. I know how to actually use the jig and what it does but I'm stuck on one feature that I can't get my old head around......
There is a screw (D) on the barrel that allows you to turn the nock holder to any position you want.....when I took my jig from the box, the screw was loose and the inside barrel had moved from the supposedly factory fixed position. I only shoot 3 vane arrows not four so the jig is set to 3, 120 degree clicks, but can someone tell me the correct position to lock this barrel at if I put the wooden arrow in so that the 'V's' are on top and pointing away from the nock? I don't have a factory arrow to put in the jig to set it, so it will have to be done by eye..
Thanks
Nige

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Nige, I am guessing a little here but at present am I correct that with the screw tightened, the barrel clicks into position 3 times as you require, but not necessarily at the right positions for the grain of your wooden arrows?
If that is the case, I think you need to put a shaft with its nock cut already, into the barrel and engage it so the shaft turns when the barrel turns, as normal.
Then loosen that D screw and rotate the shaft until you get the grain as near as possible to the way you want it in relation to the cock feather.If you draw a pencil mark along the shaft where the cock fletching will fit. you could put a vane in the clamp and position it so it lines up on your pencil mark then tighten the screw D.
If that makes sense in real life when you try it, then the next thing to do is to make sure you know which click position you need the barrel in before you start on a new arrow.
I think the direction of the grain is taken into account before the nock slots are cut into the arrows. If you are buying arrows with the nocks already cut in, the grain direction will already be set. You then need to put the arrow in the barrel the right way round for the grain .( as opposed to 180deg out of position.)

I am not sure whether or not all arrows have nocks cut in the same direction relative to the wood grain.

Nige52

Hi Geoff, thank you for your advice,
I tried it last night and it seemed to have worked. My arrows are just plain cedar shafts that need the point and the nock pencil sharpened as I will be using plastic nocks. Darron, thanks for the link, I already have that PDF but it doesn't tell you how to align the barrel properly, hopefully I can get on and make my first dozen now!
:poulies: