Check your arrows when you break a nock!

Mistake

Ironman
Just so you can all learn an important lesson/ have a bit of a giggle at my expense, I managed to do this to my arm this morning.

Basically I broke a nock, replaced it and when I went to shoot the arrow again, the back of the arrow failed in quite a spectacular fashion resulting in maybe 95% of the bow power going into my formarm and not the arrow.

And before anyone says "wear an armguard" I was.

WP_20171102_07_04_11_Pro.jpg

Valkamai

I'm sure no-one is laughing at you. We'll almost no-one.
Can I suggest that you try to Robin Hood your arrows properly and break them straight away instead.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

AndyW

Ouch, that's definitely up there with the sorest looking arm slaps I've ever seen.

sreynolds

I'd say you got off easy. Such failures occasionally result in sections of arrow shaft being fired through arm or hand.

streborp

Did something similar a couple of weeks ago when my nock split in two on release. The nock end of the arrow hit my arm and continued down my arm for about six inches so I feel your pain!!!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Sometimes you get a fine crack, even though everything looks okay, and the nock seems to have taken all the damage... Once, I even saw the nock end apparently damaged by the point going into a wall (speculation: when the shockwave blew the nock out of the back, the pressure cracked the nock end).

Mistake

Ironman
I take it you've checked your limbs are ok too?
Yeah... limbs and riser are fine.

Tbh, I drunk a hot cup of "deal with it" and finished shooting with my spare arm guard, and I shot this morning as well. It looks way worse than it is, it only felt like bad road rash yesterday (once feeling returned to my forearm) and is only slightly uncomfortable if I poke it today

jerryRTD

Kernowlad if you are using unibushes and super nocks you have very little to nothing to worry about. They are bigger and much stronger than over nocks or pin nocks. have never had one fail on the bow. the only time I have had failures it obvious nock smashed or RH. never had a problem with G nocks either. usually if I hit the back of an arrow fitted with a G nock, I come to nock it on and there is no 'click' and it won't hold on.

DarkMuppet

There was a situation a few years ago where the transparent coloured pin nocks were very brittle and slightly too tight for the pins, resulting in them cracking with just the stress of the release. I had a clubmate dry fire his bow when the nock literally exploded and his nearly new F7s snapped at the fadeout!