Classification clarification

S

StinkyPete

If a person has shot a 3rd class score and two seconds, does this equate to a third class, or does the archer remain u/c as they have not shot three rounds at a particular classification? The GNAS rule book is not clear on this

Furface

Supporter
...and the archer only needs one more second class score for a second class classification

S

StinkyPete

Mmmm, this is conflicting with what I've been told. The rationalle was: If you've obtained a classification at a round then this is the class your shooting at, anything below it is below par and you cannot get the lower class because you are capable of the upper one. (in my example 2nd)

(Should I entitle the "Correction in Classification Clarification" !)

(Or if I continued "Constant Correction in Classification Clarification" !)

now I'm just being silly

joetapley

Murray is correct.
You need 3 qualifying scores to get a higher a classification. One or two (unfortunately) is not enough.

Shirt

By that rationale, if you manage a season when you shoot (say) two 1150 FITAs and an 1191, because you've shot one MB score you are not allowed to claim Bowman.

Yeah, right - Whattalottacrap. It's third class, now get out there and get another 2nd. :)

.jpg

From what I understand-

You can either get a 3rd class from what you have. However if you do this it effectively "uses" the seconded class scores. To then get 2nd class you will need to shoot 3 new second class scores to get 2nd Class.

However if you don't 'claim' the 3rd class you can just shoot another 2nd score and claim the 2nd classification.

Though this is what someone told me, so I don't know if it's correct.

tel

Fonz Awardee
On the forum is a very good piece of record-keeping software - I did say thanks, didn't I? - which works the way I would expect. That is that all qualifying scores are counted as such i.e. if you shoot a total of 50 rounds in a season, and all 50 are equal to or above third class, then they are recorded as such - if 30 of those scores qualify as second class the same goes - and if 10 qualify as first class same again. So if I'm getting it right your record for the season using the above example would be: FIRST CLASS 10 - SECOND CLASS 30 - THIRD CLASS 50.
Even the first class scores still qualify as reaching third class. If this isn't the case, then I'm more than happy to be corrected.

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Little Miss Purple - 19/9/2005 9:32 AM

classification clarification - don't try saying that after you've been to the pub MM!!! ;)
I can't say, classific... clarifi..., classif.... clari... anyhow.:(

No, I'll definitely have to get down t'pub.

At least I'll have an excuse for not being able to say, classific... clarifi..., classif.... clari...;)

Cheers,

Mick

joetapley

Well as a last resort you could download the Shooting Adminstratives Procedures from the GNAS site but the rules are so vague/ambiguous they seem to have been written by a fairly dim chimpanzee on speed so maybe not much help.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
joetapley - 20/9/2005 9:57 AM </p>

written by a fairly dim chimpanzee on speed
</p>

Would that be the one sat in the room next to the infinite monkeys? ;)</p>

joetapley

Not sure how monkeys and chimpanzees get on. Scragging the chimp might be a preferred option to typing Hamlet.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
joetapley - 20/9/2005 10:44 AM Not sure how monkeys and chimpanzees get on. Scragging the chimp might be a preferred option to typing Hamlet.
</p>

Scragging the chimp you say! He's quite shocked!</p>

[img=http://b3ta.goatpod.co.uk/chimpsurprise.gif]</p>

.jpg

Furface - 19/9/2005 10:45 PM

.jpg - 19/9/2005 8:44 PM

Though this is what someone told me, so I don't know if it's correct.
It most definitely aint!
I thought it made sense. Picture this:

you could not have claimed classification ever before, but you could have recorded 3 Master Bowman (for example) standard scores. With just those 3 Master Bowman scores you could claim 5 badges. For only 3 rounds.

However from the way I described you can only redeem 3 rounds for 1 badge. So therefore needing 15 rounds for 5 badges. It just seems a little fairer.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
.jpg - 20/9/2005 1:05 PM
I thought it made sense. Picture this:

you could not have claimed classification ever before, but you could have recorded 3 Master Bowman (for example) standard scores. With just those 3 Master Bowman scores you could claim 5 badges. For only 3 rounds.

However from the way I described you can only redeem 3 rounds for 1 badge. So therefore needing 15 rounds for 5 badges. It just seems a little fairer.
So in your example, would you want someone to shoot LOWER scores than they're capable of to get the lower badges? Or shoot 15 Master Bowman scores and work backwards through the badges, getting a lower one every three rounds?

Badges are an indication of an archer's level of ability. The higher level surely includes the lower level? Sounds fair to me.

.jpg

TJ Mason - 20/9/2005 1:32 PM
Or shoot 15 Master Bowman scores and work backwards through the badges, getting a lower one every three rounds?
That's what I was getting at. If they don't want the lower badges then they can just have the MB badge. But it's my oppinion of how it should work and what someone told me. I accept the fact it probably works the other way.

Micky

I think that if you told someone who had just made MB that they needed to shoot a brace of lower scores to work their way through the classifications then they may well laugh at you.

Brutal, but true.

The classification system as it stands works fine up to Bowman. But once beyond that, the badges (such as they are) stop meaning anything, and the scores begin to have a significance of their own. For example - a 1275 FITA is MB, but only 25 points more will bring you to the magic 1300. But not GMB, which is another 14 points on from that (ladies compound scores). I can't explain it very well, but suddenly achieving a classification isn't the most important thing, it's on a par with the score. If you can drill out 1300 FITAs everytime then you're at a level beyond classification, even though you haven't got the official GMB.

Does that make sense? :eek: