Clickerati...where are you in my hour of need!!

inkystu

HELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!

I hate fletching!!!

I've just had a pack of spinwing type fletches arrive. (thank you targetcraft!) and my post got to me at 12.20 when he normally gets here at 9.30.

I now need to fletch 7 arrows this afternoon as well as a manic work schedule, so I can go out tonight and set my 'benchmark'. 3 doz at 70m.

:hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:

Ok...Calm down... I can do this....Any suggestions????

(where's that ****** zen smiley....oh there it is...:meditate:)

:grumpy:

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Spin wingy things are really quick to put on - did you prepare your arrows last night by getting all the lines drawn on? :eek:ptimist:

Then you stick all the double sided strips on with an edge along the line and all the same side of their lines on all the arrows.

Then you peel off the backing tape from the sticky strips - arrow by arrow.

Then (having followed any instructions about cleaning the fletches ) apply the vanes, either by hand or using a clamp - you will have decided how far from the back of the arrow the fletches need to go and have a mark on each arrow - press down.

Once all the fletch are on - apply the top and tail tape.

Batch processing :knockout:

Hidden Hippo

Tell the office you've got bird flu, spend the afternoon fletching then go and shoot. 7 arrows should only take about half an hour though, once you get a production line going they take no time at all.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Relax. Fletching is fun!

First of all, are you using wraps? Do you have a tri-liner? Despite what people say, you can fletch spinwings with a clamp if you're careful.

What I do before anything else, is put the backing tape on as many fletches as I'm going to need. Why spinwings and kurlies don't come pre-taped is beyond me. Hey ho.

Make sure your shafts are nice and clean. You can make lines with a tri-liner or with a pencil or metallic marker. Once that's done, you can remove the backing from the tape and gently, but firmly smooth the edge of the spinwing down along the line, working from the middle out. Once you've done all three, you can put on the binding tape on the ends of the fletches.

It's that easy, I promise!!

Good Sir Pete

bulldog clips: the dog's for spinwing fletchings!

someone i know pretapes all his spinwings as soon as he gets them. it takes him less than a minute to replace fletchings!!

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
bulldog clips: the dog's for spinwing fletchings!

someone i know pretapes all his spinwings as soon as he gets them. it takes him less than a minute to replace fletchings!!
i do that :yes:

that's why i can't understand why they don't come pre-taped!

Good Sir Pete

i do that :yes:

that's why i can't understand why they don't come pre-taped!
i should do it. i'm just too damn lazy unfortunately! another reason i'm considering a change to x vanes... too much damn fletching with spins.

the other week i shot an arrow straight through a boss at 60 yards. normally i'd be impressed, but it was just too annoying knowing i now had to completely refletch the arrow!!! :hissyfit:

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I think fletching spinwings/kurklies is the same work as straight vanes, just a different process. Either way, enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when you've finished and admire your fresh fletches.

Good Sir Pete

haha, i have music writing and other such creative outputs for that!!

i can't say i enjoy the process too much, but the result is rather satisfying i must admit :eek:ptimist:. still, i'd rather just get on with shooting, and x-vanes have a reputation for being very durable, unlike the decidedly fragile spinwings!

inkystu

Thanks to all of you. The panic is off. The vanes I received, although marked up as right hand are in fact left handed. (Not targetcrafts fault and they are bending over backwards to resolve this for me, Thanks)

The result is I have to shoot my plastic fletched arrows tonight. The reason for my initial panic was I only have 6 of these and wanted to complete the 3 dozen without worry. In the tests i did before, the groups were about the same, possibly slighty tighter with spins, and at 90 m the spins were 3 colours higher. I dont need sight gain as I am at full extention and 1.5" above the arrow but would like a tight group hence the spin vane route.

As I am in my 3rd venture out tonight after a 15 year layoff, I am looking to set a score for 3 doz at 70m as a benchmark for progress/regress in the future. I have no real aim at score, just to shoot well, but what would people think would be reasonable to start with. (my old PB was 324)

By the way click, I would rather make 20 strings than fletch 1 arrow! Its to do with big fingers and eyesight not being what it was!!!!

Good Sir Pete

Thanks to all of you. The panic is off. The vanes I received, although marked up as right hand are in fact left handed. (Not targetcrafts fault and they are bending over backwards to resolve this for me, Thanks)

The result is I have to shoot my plastic fletched arrows tonight. The reason for my initial panic was I only have 6 of these and wanted to complete the 3 dozen without worry. In the tests i did before, the groups were about the same, possibly slighty tighter with spins, and at 90 m the spins were 3 colours higher. I dont need sight gain as I am at full extention and 1.5" above the arrow but would like a tight group hence the spin vane route.

As I am in my 3rd venture out tonight after a 15 year layoff, I am looking to set a score for 3 doz at 70m as a benchmark for progress/regress in the future. I have no real aim at score, just to shoot well, but what would people think would be reasonable to start with. (my old PB was 324)

By the way click, I would rather make 20 strings than fletch 1 arrow! Its to do with big fingers and eyesight not being what it was!!!!
have you thought of trying x-vanes? they're very popular at the moment with compound archers, and give the same groupings as spins. also, if you don't like fletching then spinwings are NOT the way to go!!!!! like i've said, x-vanes are meant to be very durable, which is why i'm thinking of making the change. :scratchch

inkystu

Sorry forgot to say this is with a recurve, and I used to be more of a field archer who failed at target, hence the comeback to try and crack it.

Good Sir Pete

Sorry forgot to say this is with a recurve, and I used to be more of a field archer who failed at target, hence the comeback to try and crack it.
sorry, yes i meant for recurve! lol. i know of a few people who stick with spins simply because that's what all the other recurvers shoot, but i'm very tempted to jump ship!!!

inkystu

I'm afraid I'm from the Old Bloke school of thought. What used to work seems to be better than what is around now, although I do keep an open mind on things. My gut feel is to go for D1's but want to give spins a try cos I didn't in the past, not because everyone else shoots them but because I didn't.

I've even just bought a spool of fast flight plus cos I don't like the sound of the 'non-stretch' strings, and yes, I am shooting ACC's, and yes my limbs are wood core carbons!

But then again.... full extension at 90m...1.5" above the arrow....27" arrow...8" group on my first attempt at 90....why do I need to look at anything else. Ive got the speed. I ve got the stability (once Ive sorted the fletches out) the consistancy will come once Ive shot a few more times.

Good Sir Pete

lol, well yes, you can't really complain with that! if it ain't broke i suppose!

as for spins, they are good - very good. it's just the maintenance that's a pain.

addo

I have no real aim at score, just to shoot well, but what would people think would be reasonable to start with. (my old PB was 324)
If you shoot 300+ i'll chuck my bow in the bin and never speak to another archer again :rotfl:

Seriously though,266 is a BM and 218 is a 1st class score for 3 dozen at 70m so if you crack any of those i think you should have a little giggle to yourself.If you were anyone else i wouldn't post that sort of figure for someone who's had 15 years out.Still regardless of the score,ENJOY as i'm sure you will.Will you blog your session/score? I bet a lot of people will be very curious

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I think fletching spinwings/kurklies is the same work as straight vanes, just a different process. Either way, enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when you've finished and admire your fresh fletches.

Ah but curly type vanes don't require a tube of glue and a jig with clamp and loads of turning the jig. :eek:uch:

I actually have a nifty device - a metal tube with slots that you slide the arrow into and then you don't have to worry about drawing lines and can butt the fletch against the appropriate wall of the slot. Mine was made by the famous Jim Buchanan but I've seen Spigarelli ones. I got lost with a tri-liner :boggled:

inkystu

There will be a full (probably boring, but I'll add some smileys to make it look good) account of tonight on my blog by tomorrow morning. Do you want me to PM you Addo just in case I get 300+:cheerful:
Thanks for the breakdown of scores, that is really useful to know. I honestly just want to go and shoot each arrow to the best of my current ability. Thats why I want a recorded starting point. If its a low score but shot well then there is room for improvement. If its a high score shot well I'll probably mess myself:flamed: Either way I'm just going to enjoy shooting good shots!