Club Longbows

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
My guess about being warned off would be connected to the dangers of breakage.
The club where I shoot had a longbow guy who built up a collection of longbows for use occasionally by club members wanting to find out about longbow archery. The bows were also used near the end of the beginners' courses by anyone who felt like having a go at longbow archery as opposed to the recurve they had done on the course. It took a lot of his time to make sure the different weight bows were given to the right strength beginner, and getting their draw length to match that of the bow. Without a careful eye being kept on who was shooting which particular bow, I feel the bow may have been in danger of failure or the beginner may have hurt themselves accidentally by heaving on something too weighty for them.

I could very well be wrong; there again, there could be some archers who mistakenly think as I have described.
I think Nancepance's suggestion of buying second hand bows could be a reason, too. Money could be spent on something that is already 90% dead.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I have often thought of making a longbow with a glass laminate for practice bows to reduce the failure/stress of good bows.

Corax67

I think it's a great idea - our club has a small selection of longbows and AFB's both purchased and donated covering a wide range of draw weights & lengths which members are free to use once they've done their beginners course.

It serves to both expose the club members to alternative shooting styles and as an R&R tool for members who might be going through the doldrums with recurve or compound and would benefit from a bit of fun distraction.

Draw weight is not staggeringly important since they are all sub 40# so pretty much anyone can give them a go.

They also get snapped up really early for our Christmas shoot which is for unsighted bows :)

Karl

Nancepance

Modern lam longbows can take a lot of abuse, such as overdrawing. I wouldn't recommend self bows for club use, and all wood lams might also not be the way to go. Anything with bamboo or glass would be fine for rough handling. Plus you would be there to coach, wouldn't you?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-C115 met Tapatalk